Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an alto player and still have my student model yamaha. I'm almost a junior in high school and I'm now looking for something to replace it with because it is holding me back. I was hoping for a professional sax that would last me for a long time into my life. I want to play mostly jazz band with it with some classical on the side. I've been looking around for a little while now and I dont know what sax to pick. Please let me know.

·
Registered
494 Posts
getting a new sax won't make you any better, but I'd suggest selmer series III or yamaha Ex or custom Z

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I agree with NatureColor. If there isn't anything wrong with your YAS 23, nothing's "holding you back." But...that's the excuse I used when I wanted a new sax. I think the lower line Yanigisawas are nice pro saxes that could dual as a classical and jazz as long as you alternate mouthpieces. Also, if you are looking for a higher priced sax but does the same job that will get you to college, I suppose a basic Selmer France would do it. But the Custom Z is really awesome for jazz performances.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I'm partial to Yanagisawa and Keilwerths.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Their is nothing Basic about hte Selmer France. I used a Yamaha 23 for a year more than you. And I finally got a Pro. Alto, and I relized that it was all in my head. What horn was better. A 23 is better than all Intermeadiate horns that you would find, almost as a rule. So you would have to go Professional, and then it would still be close to your 23. If you want to play Jazz, and you like that old big band Saxophone Sound. Or some of the greats. Then almost as a rule you have to go vintage to do it. And if you go vintage, then you may have trouble with the fingerings. All be it, you may not. To help you decide go down to a local music store, and ask to see a Vintage Alto. Then finger threw some scales and see if the pinky table will give you any trouble, which it might. If it doesn't then you will be able to play vintage.

What it comes down to, is that the horn is not whats holding you back. You are whats holding you back. And I mean that in the nicest way possable. It's all in your head on to if its holding you back or not.

Just play, different horns and try them out. Then get the one that you want.

~Carbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I meant when I said it was holding me back was that the sax is getting beat up from things happening through the years and some of the repairs needed are not worth reparing just to get the same sax back when I can go out and get a new sax and have 2. I was also looking for an exuse for a new sax.

·
Registered
342 Posts
saxgeek122333 said:
I was also looking for an exuse for a new sax.
Hmm, an excuse for GAS. Around my house we blame it on the dog. :D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
What the Dog ate my horn?
Sounds like the dog at my homework.
You will get alot of ideas on the best sax.
Go play different horns, and figure out the one you like.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Saxgeek's post reminds me of a sad personal experience I have had with a (no-longer) friend in Vietnam: The guy is quite a good trumpet player and told me he wanted a decent to be a better player. So, I introduced him to Saigon's finest trumpet guru and bought for him a 98%-new YTR-1335, a student trumpet.

Now, after three months, I came back to Vietnam and his teacher told me he has not come for lessons at all. And when I saw him, he even had the guts to tell me that the valves of Yami trumpet were not responsive enough for him (as though "it was holding" him back)! PLEASE!

Coltrane said something like "you can blow a shoe string if you are sincere". In other words, if you are really good a player, you can make a 23 or Bundy SING (even better than someone else on a 6 or 20)!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Skip the new horn for now and try out a bunch of mouthpieces. You'll probably improve a lot more than you think with the (relatively) modest investment in a *good* mouthpiece and some serious woodshedding than you will by upgrading your saxophone (at this time).

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Good point Yellowhornblower.

Many years ago, my grandfather came to visit. He played sax professionally for about 50 years and it was performance time for my brother (on trumpet) and I (on alto). I pulled out my Bundy II and gave it all I had. He was very gracious and told my grandmother that when he died to make sure that his horns made it to me. I play on his horns now and love every time I get to play them. He then asked if he could play my horn as he didn't bring his for the weekend. I hadn't heard that Bundy II sound that good ever. Cheap student mouthpiece and probably a slightly leaky horn and he sounded amazing!

I'll still pull out that old alto from time to time to remind me that it's the player and not the horn.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Legendaries play student horns, too!

Thanks, HF!

If my memory serves me well, Miles Davis went into a studio to record "Miles Ahead". So, he asked if anybody had a trumpet somewhere nearby, and just out of coincidence, one of the staff in the studio had an old student trumpet in his car.

Now, it was winter time, and that horn had been sitting idle for a long time before that session, but Miles took it out, checked its valves out, gave it a blow, and went into the studio to record one of his best albums!

As though recording with a beaten up student horn were not cool or crazy enough, Miles called Gil Evans at 4 in the morning a few days later. When Evans asked him what was so urgent that he had to call him at such an hour, Miles said, "Gil, if you are ever bored, listen to that Springville!", and hang up the phone!

Stories like this are the reason why I enjoy reading liner notes in records so much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts