Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently acquired a 90-year-old J. W. York C Mel (to help this beginner when playing in the 'guitar' keys and because I liked the idea of a sax that actually played the notes that it was supposed to) I'd just like a little help in finding my way around.

It's in good playable condition and I've been comparing the keywork with my modern tenor. The G# trill key is no problem, but I'm puzzled by an extra key over the D pad. Unlike the D key, it's not attached to the pad, and it's lower (nearer the bow). When pressed, it opens a small pad just above the bow and plays Eb. However, this sax also has the usual Eb 'roller' key (whose note sounds a lot stronger because it opens a bigger pad on the bow). Is this extra Eb simply meant as a rather weedy trill?

Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, thanks for the confirmation.

In case it helps anyone else who is pondering about a C Mel, my preparation before deciding that it was going to be useful was to play some backing tracks two semitones down. For this I used my 'Tascam Guitar Trainer'. It's a CD player that will change the key of the tracks without changing the tempo. Playing along on the tenor with these transposed backings gave me an idea of how a C Mel would be fingered and I felt it was going to be a worthwhile purchase (and this has been proved right).

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts