Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title, what is so special about them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
They look ugly but play great. And they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
And...they are a Magical Special Blue chemical make-up I believe from the same Planet that Superman came from.....or maybe Thor?? ...they make you sound way more special than a silly old Black one!!! NOTHING....same as the Black ones...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
I had a few blue ones and a few black ones that I was given when they first came out (Javas and Jumbo Javas). Very nice mouthpieces, the blue sounded exactly the same as the black, same design same material just a different pigment. Vandoren didn't make them and expect them to sound different, it's purely a cosmetic thing which it seems fools some people into thinking there is something different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
I refaced a Blue Java A35 just now, the facing was uneven, higher on the left rail, and the opening was 0,077 not 0,081. I occurs to me that the material was very soft, much softer that a V16 A5M I just refaced. But I don´t have a Black Vandoren Java here to compare. I also have had two other Blue Alto Javas and two T95, all with facings that needed more or less adjustments. Could it be that the it was easier for Vandoren to make durable javas in Black? - obs! Perhaps the Black are more valuable than the blue ones???

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
There is absolutely no difference except in appearance. I had an Alto blue Jumbo 75 and a black both from the same era. Played exactly the same. I sold the blue one to someone in Japan for $400+ and kept the Black one which I think is an excellent and purchased two tenor mouthpieces with the proceeds.

Do not be fooled.

If you want something similar in Blue contact Greg Wier of GW mouthpieces at [email protected] and buy one of his blue pieces and have him add a baffle.

B

·
2,078 Posts
The difference is that the Java T95 I own is blue, and I would love for it to become ludicrously valuable!!

I own both a black and a blue Java, they're both great mouthpieces, and there's no perceivable difference in quality to me. The black one (T55) was my first tenor piece, the blue one (T95) was my main piece for several years. Only reason I stopped using it was because I wanted more projection at the time. Since I've gone back to wanting a warmer sound I've been using a Jody hard rubber 7*, but haven't tried the blue Java in years, so I wonder how it is now in comparison... might have to break it out today and find out. I always recommend Vandoren mouthpieces to students who want a good piece without going broke.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I remember a Ralph Morgan article in Sax Journal that talked about Vandoren making red HR mpcs and when refacing the rubber crumbled. so I think the color may have some detrimental effect on the rubber.

I've had a couple JJavas, one blue T45, and black T75, blue T95 (which I wish I had never sold) but never two the same to compare.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I've seen reds as well. I don't find the colors too much appealing in many ways anyway.

·
12,712 Posts
Ive refaced a couple of blue ones and they dont crumble but Id rather work with standard hard rubber. Its absurd that people will pay so much for one. They are no better, no worse.

·
1,243 Posts
I just tested a Blue Java I just refaced. The Java (regardless of color) is impressing me, it is a much more versatile mouthpiece that I expected. I wonder why everyone wants Jumbo Java, not a Java?

Blue mpc A35, Red Java 2.5 reed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2o1FAgUyWY

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
They're BLUE!!!!

·
2,853 Posts
The better question is why in the world would anyone pay more for a blue, red or any color mouthpiece from any mouthpiece maker? I've seen them sell for way too much and have never received a legit answer. It makes as much of a difference as the color of your car.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I thought the blue ones were a bit warmer sounding, but it was probably all in my head. ;-) i got the T45 in trade, and the T95 for a good price. I wound up selling both for more than i bought them for.
I prefer high baffle mpcs on my horn, makes it come aline. even the Link I am playing now has a bit of a baffle added, but not much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I didn't know the blue ones were so valuable. I think I have a Jumbo Java in the drawer...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts