Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you rather take the occasional/sporadic lesson with THE person you want to sound like the most.... or with someone who is still way better than you but is available for consistent lessons?

What if you decide to take lessons from both of them? How would you handle the situations where you get conflicting practice priorities from each teacher?

Just curious about how you think about this and what works for you. :)

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
You state that the consistently available teacher is way better than you. In that case, occasional/sporadic lessons is not what you need. I would go with the consistently available teacher until you reach the point that he is no longer "way better". Then you might want to sign on with THE person you most want to sound like. If your skills develop well, he might accommodate you on a more regular basis.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I would take regular studies and, on the week the "superstar" is available, defer your regular lesson and go with the special case. Is it that complex?
But also remember, being a superstar doesn't necessarily mean s/he's a great teacher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
But also remember, being a superstar doesn't necessarily mean s/he's a great teacher.
This. And I've found sometimes that the truly great players aren't great at teaching others how to be great, as it just came to them easier in some cases. The truth is, really, 95% of it is going to come down to your talent and how hard you are willing to work to improve anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
depends on how you define 'best'. There are best teachers and best players, as said before some players are not good teachers. Someone who knows how to teach, provide focus and motivate is better (for me) than someone who is flashy and just shows you what to do.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
I think it also depends on what kind of worker you are. I have some Skype students that do one lesson with me where I give them a bunch of stuff. They work on the material consistently on their own for 6 months and then let me know they are ready for another lesson. Most people aren't like that though and need consistent lessons to keep them on track and motivated. You have to figure out what is best for you.........

·
Registered
166 Posts
It sounds like you haven’t worked with either teacher yet, which is only way you’ll know who’s the better teacher for you. Can you work with one for six months, then the other?

I’d avoid working with both at same time; it’s hard enough to stay focused on what a teacher is offering without the distraction of competing offers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would take regular studies and, on the week the "superstar" is available, defer your regular lesson and go with the special case. Is it that complex?
Many times I can't see for myself what is obvious to others. So, no it's not complex. It makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truth is, really, 95% of it is going to come down to your talent and how hard you are willing to work to improve anyway.
Agreed. I just want someone to point me in the right direction and put my back on course when I get off. Only I can do the work/practice!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it.

I had my first lesson with the person who is available consistently and it was awesome. I really got the feeling that he was passionate about teaching. Or maybe it's that he's passionate about learning and is willing to share it with others. In any case, I learned some new things, have a list of things to practice, and am excited about lesson number 2.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
It really depends on how good you are. If you are a good amateur or below, then you need regular, weekly lessons with a good teacher.

If you're already pretty good (i.e., professional), then the every-now-and-then lesson with the creme-de-la-creme is the way to go.

I would strongly recommend against studying with two different teachers at the same time. You won't be able to stay focused.

But the bottom line is that no matter who you study with, you have to practice every day. The lesson is just for checking in and getting advice; the real learning takes place between lessons.

(And as others have pointed out, just because someone is a great player does not mean they are a good teacher. And vice versa.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts