Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Oh definitely use the equipment made for the purpose, the Zoom. It's got actual microphones that were selected to get quality reproduction of sound. Cell phones have a microphone that was selected to be tiny and cheap. Even better would probably be to use a couple of real microphones and run them into the Zoom.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oh definitely use the equipment made for the purpose, the Zoom. It's got actual microphones that were selected to get quality reproduction of sound. Cell phones have a microphone that was selected to be tiny and cheap. Even better would probably be to use a couple of real microphones and run them into the Zoom.
Agree, I almost always hate phone videos and sound for that reason. To me, they don't always do the live sax sound justice

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
smart phones often have a very annoying algorithm enabled which tries to interpret how loud things are and then set the appropriate levels from there. The problem with this is that if you get a little bit louder it will squash the whole audio down several DB and at some sort of low cut filter. I've seen this happen with Samsungs and Iphones.

Your H4 is going to be miles above in terms of audio quality, Heck all you need is even a low end DSLR with an audio input and you'd be able to get video with much better sound.

I use a Nikon D5200 and a zoom h2

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I believe Zoom is making a stereo mic that plugs right into your IPhone. Might want to look into that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
I am so glad I came here to see what a 'zoom' was. I've been thinking of getting some kind of recorder so I can capture my gigs just for the purpose of analyzing my intonation and effectiveness. I also want to be able to lay a lead track down over pre-recorded rhythm tracks just for my own amusement and also for analyzing. I just bought a Zoom H1n which I think will be adequate for my uses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Fader. I wish we had.Some guy shot our gig on my iPhone and the sound quality was terrible as was the video itself >K

·
3,209 Posts
Thanks Fader. I wish we had.Some guy shot our gig on my iPhone and the sound quality was terrible as was the video itself >K
Then they didn’t know what they were doing (video-wise at least). I shoot all my videos on my phone- can do 4k if I want, and I manually adjust the fps, iso, white balance, exposure, focus, etc. Add in some color grading and I think they look GREAT! These phones can do a lot if you know how to use them properly.

Also I’m only using an iphone 8!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Ah well....I'm sure there will be more opportunities. Live band shoots are not the easiest -

- poor lighting and crappy sound are the two biggest culprits. GIGO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David, your vids are much fun. Good laughs. But your quality is very good also. I'll fool with my iPhone 10R. Maybe I can do a better job here at the house rather than the zoom K

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am so glad I came here to see what a 'zoom' was. I've been thinking of getting some kind of recorder so I can capture my gigs just for the purpose of analyzing my intonation and effectiveness. I also want to be able to lay a lead track down over pre-recorded rhythm tracks just for my own amusement and also for analyzing. I just bought a Zoom H1n which I think will be adequate for my uses.
A poor man's/last ditch hack for a personal monitor I have utilized is to rubber band the H1 to a stand mic and use a set of headphones buds from the monitor out o the H1. Works pretty darn well other than being tethered to the mic. And you get a recording of your playing as well. Great little unit!

on a separate note- I have loved having the H6, even using doing small studio recordings using six external mics (the stereo mics replaced with the 2 xlr jacks. The preamps are pretty darn decent, a bit of a step up from the H4N from what I have read. Just point the x/y stereo mics at the stage, taking a line in from the board and a few other mics can give some decent results. I guessing the H4N would work in this manner as well, just depends on how much set-up and post recording mixing you want to do. If I had to choose, I'd much rather have excellent audio and crappy video than the other way around. And lastly, the iMovie app on the iPad has more features than the iPhone, but not nearly as intense as IMovie on my Mac, making it pretty easy to put a separate audio track over the video recorded from your iPhone.

·
3,209 Posts
David, your vids are much fun. Good laughs. But your quality is very good also. I'll fool with my iPhone 10R. Maybe I can do a better job here at the house rather than the zoom K
It should give great video quality- audio probably won’t be as good as a zoom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts