Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I am a sax player and i just played a soprano a little while ago and i am looking in to one what is one to try/buy because i am hoping to learn it so i play small and large (bari and soprano)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Many, many good sopranos out there, modern, vintage, new, used. Much depends on your budget. My experience tells me to not try to buy on the cheap. Read through these threads to get a handle on OPINIONS (not facts, so much). DAVE

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm a firm believer in using that which is durable and roadworthy- especially for a doubler.
Try Yamaha YSS-475. Easy to play and durable, while not too harsh on the wallet. If you can afford it, step up to a YSS-675.

Whatever you get, invest in a good mouthpiece! I've always found the Dukoff D6 a very nice, easy one to play. Or, if you like hard rubber better, try a Selmer Super Session "F" or "H".

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
What level horn would you prefer we suggest for you? Straight? Curvy?
From your bari thread you seem to have issues with anything lower than "Pro" level instruments.
Do you want new or vintage?
The question was pretty broad and you may get more specific suggestions with a little added info.

I have played a YSS-475 and found it to be of excellent quality in both sound and build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in my bari thread i am set on getting one for the res of my life so i figure why not go pro. here i want to get a good one vintage is good modern is good all is good straight or curvy whatever i have no issues with student models at all just for bari it is that time for me

·
19,210 Posts
PLEASE, use a few upper case letters and some punctuation.......

It might do you some good to spend a little time in a few shops playing whatever they have in stock.
New and vintage. There are slight differences in the ergonomics of new and vintage horns, and from brand to brand.
There are also differences in sound and scale.
We can make suggestions till the cows come home, but if you get one based only on 'suggestion' and hate it...
Well, you can't blame us! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
A good horn to find is a Vito or Whitehall from the 70s as they are made by Yanagisawa. They come up on ebay at times but not often. I have about 8 sopranos and they are all vintage. The lowest price one I have is a Martin stencil in silver plate. Plays very well for $750. Maybe you need to post your price range.

·
19,210 Posts
Bruce, If I had $750 that Martin stencil would be on it's way to Lake Odessa in a heart beat. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
My Antigua Winds 590LQ is still doing very well for me. I got it from Kessler about 5 years ago for about $1000 new. I recommend it for a doubler.

You should click on the Kessler ad at the top of this page. There's a good deal on a red brass version of what I have.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I played about 80 sopranos over a period of 4 days at NAMM in January, most being Taiwanese/ Chinese makes.

There were a few standouts at the low end of the price range ( under $700, some WAY under $700). Each of them outplayed some of the more well known brands by far- better sound and response overall.

Take a close look at sopranos from Diplomatte. I found them to be excellent horns, great sound and feel, and well made and I found the company to be conscious and attentive. Of all the "unknown" horns I played at NAMM, this is the one I am adding to my collection of sopranos. It plays like my Yanagisawa S800 but with far better keywork.

I think these are great horns for anyone, and one that will start you down a good road in terms of playing and enjoying a well made and good sounding soprano at a good price.

http://www.diplomattemusic.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts