Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Recently I've been interested in starting to play the sax but I have no clue as to what to buy. Everywhere I've looked I find company names but not really any model names. I'm looking to pay no more than $700 for a used alto. I want to get an intermediate-level sax so I have something reliable and study that'll last. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Remember its the player more than the horn. A used Yamaha yas23 would be a good horn. The yas23 is used by students and pros alike. If you want a new horn--get a Venus made in China from the musical wheel on ebay. The Venus is the only ultra cheap horn that I have tried and liked. With the Yamaha you can usually resell a used one for what you paid for it since there is always a demand for this model. With the Venus you would not get your money back when reselling and some people will look down on it{until they hear it}.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
Go to www.justsaxes.com and buy a new alto from Palo Tung. It might cost you $100-200 more but you will have a great horn from one of the most trustworthy individuals in the business. It only takes one trip to a tech and the difference between a used horn and a new sax will be eliminated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. What would be a fair price to pay for a used yas23 in good condition?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to www.justsaxes.com and buy a new alto from Palo Tung. It might cost you $100-200 more but you will have a great horn from one of the most trustworthy individuals in the business. It only takes one trip to a tech and the difference between a used horn and a new sax will be eliminated.
Thanks, I'll check that out. Which model on the site would you recommend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. How would you say the Bauhaus Walstein compares to the YAS23 and is it worth paying twice the price for?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Use the search bar to see what others have said in the forum. I have read good reviews of the Bauhaus Walstein horns, but the Yamaha yas 23 is the horn most students use. I have played several Yamaha's and all were good, but I have never played the Bauhaus Walstein.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
Ok thanks. How would you say the Bauhaus Walstein compares to the YAS23 and is it worth paying twice the price for?
I don't think there's any comparison between a new BW and a used YAS23.

The BW is better than a YAS 23 IMO, and when compared with new prices, it's way cheaper. A secondhand YAS23 is not such good value if it needs to be overhauled. Also new horn will have a warrantee.

·
Registered
307 Posts
...With the Venus you would not get your money back when reselling and some people will look down on it{until they hear it}.
This is not true, at least in England, I've seen used Venus's go on ebay for pretty much the same price as new.

However, if you can stretch to the budget, then I'd agree with the BW, it's a class above the others.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
One that is in the best possible playing condition. Properly adjusted with NO leaks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm not familiar with the BW; they do get good remarks here. You can get a used YAS-23 in good playable condition for $300-600. One of those will take you a long way for many years. Another used option is the King 660 or King Empire. Both of those come up on Ebay fairly often.
Buying used is problematic. Look at pictures on Ebay of many horns, comparing the ones with intact clean neck cork, reddish orangey pads, lack of dents/corrosion (all good), to the ones with torn, dark neck corks, dark brown pads, golf-ball size dents in the bottom (all bad). You'll start to get a feel for which ones might be worth buying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts