Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have my Super-20 tenor overhauled soon. What type of pads are considered the best these days?

Not interested in saving a few bucks, I want these to last a long time with minimum adjustment. As a starting point, I generally like harder pads and I have reso-tech domed metal resonators...

It's a Cleveland 313K full-pearl, double socket silver neck (NOT Silversonic)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I like working with Pisoni Pro and MusicMedic Chocolate Roo pads. Whatever you choose, make sure your tech is familiar with them as that can make a big difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I'm going to have my Super-20 tenor overhauled soon. What type of pads are considered the best these days?

Not interested in saving a few bucks, I want these to last a long time with minimum adjustment. As a starting point, I generally like harder pads and I have reso-tech domed metal resonators...

Thoughts?
I don't have any suggestions but those who will may want to know the year or series.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,161 Posts
several years ago (at least 5) I had my Super 20 (460XXX) Eastlake equipped with white Roo®pads and they are not only still there and they are going still strong every couple of years bring the horn in for a check up and the shop marvels (overhaul was made from someone else) at how good the horn is.

I also had oversized flat tenor madness brass resonator fitted they are still perfect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,223 Posts
Any of the good quality pads should work. It's a matter of what you and/or your repairer favour.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I have used both the Pisoni Pro and Chocolate Roo pads and prefer the roo pads for consistency and ease of installation. They are both pads with firm felt giving a nice professional feel. I believe the roos are just a bit quieter.
This is a Super 20 I overhauled a while back with roo pads.

View attachment 173810

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,209 Posts
I have used both the Pisoni Pro and Chocolate Roo pads and prefer the roo pads for consistency and ease of installation. They are both pads with firm felt giving a nice professional feel. I believe the roos are just a bit quieter.
A "professional feel"? So if I don't use firm pads, I cannot play well?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
There are pads made with softer felt that are common on student instruments that are more accommodating to wavy toneholes. In my experience better players prefer firmer pads that do not have that "squishy" feel. They not only feel better, but they facilitate a quidker response as well. That's what I mean by "professional feel". Why do I feel that I am being baited with that comment?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,176 Posts
If your pads aren't uber-hard, then your horn doesn't feel professional....:bluewink:

Perhaps it was a little baiting, but I understand the comment. The notion that quite firm pads are what advanced and 'pro' players require/desire....it's sorta subjective. Also....it's not like the only alternative to 'hard' is 'soft' ; that if one doesn't get a Roo-hardness pad, they are gonna be stuck with Mr. Softees.

Between "very firm" and "squishy" there exist a good 3 or 4 other gradients....some which are great pads which both function and feel good, and which historically have worked quite well for pros.

I think that was more the Dr's point....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any of the good quality pads should work. It's a matter of what you and/or your repairer favour.
That's just it - I prefer harder pads with a lighter seat - most of the pads out there are soft and require a deeper seat. I've had overhauls last 10 years with harder pads with minimal adjustment - and I average about 20hours a week of time on the tenor. When I've tried softer pads, they tended to leak more often and I didn't like the response. They don't seem to "pop" right for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,176 Posts
If that is where you are at, I might suggest finding a player or a horn which has Roos installed and giving it a play. Maybe even a shop or a tech shop. See if you like the feel and response of 'em, and if so that may be your ticket.

Just saying there are good medium-firm to firm-firm pads out there that aren't Roos, would meet the OP requirements, and also can also potentially give the feel you are desiring.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

View attachment 173810
Can you give a more-detailed comparison between the Pisoni and the Choco-Roos?

I'm having trouble getting certain sizes of Pisoni and am very hesitant to switch...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,145 Posts
I have the chocolate Roos on my SBA. I love the feel, my tech/s do not.

In regard to the question, I don't think there's such a thing as a good pad for a specific model/brand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the chocolate Roos on my SBA. I love the feel, my tech/s do not.

In regard to the question, I don't think there's such a thing as a good pad for a specific model/brand.
I think your right, but knew people would ask what horn so I thought I'd head them off at the pass!

What doesn't your tech like about the Chocolate Roos?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Can you give a more-detailed comparison between the Pisoni and the Choco-Roos?

I'm having trouble getting certain sizes of Pisoni and am very hesitant to switch...
They are both excellent quality pads in my opinion. My experience was that the roo pads were a bit easier to install because they were a bit more consistent. Some of the Pisoni's in the batch I received were not as flat as the rest, but again the differences were minor. I also like the look and feel of the roo's but that is just personal taste. ymmv.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,145 Posts
I think your right, but knew people would ask what horn so I thought I'd head them off at the pass!

What doesn't your tech like about the Chocolate Roos?
I'm not sure of the exact reasons. Maybe they think it's too hard and not forgiving enough on an old horn.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are both excellent quality pads in my opinion. My experience was that the roo pads were a bit easier to install because they were a bit more consistent. Some of the Pisoni's in the batch I received were not as flat as the rest, but again the differences were minor. I also like the look and feel of the roo's but that is just personal taste. ymmv.
Thanks for the perspective from the installation side of things. Now about the feel (I assume from the player's perspective?)...are you referring to the feel in the action or tone or something else?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Thanks for the perspective from the installation side of things. Now about the feel (I assume from the player's perspective?)...are you referring to the feel in the action or tone or something else?
The feel in the action primarily. Also when a firm pad is seated perfectly over a level tonehole it give a quick response when the key is closed. Players use expressions like the notes "pop" when you play fast.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The feel in the action primarily. Also when a firm pad is seated perfectly over a level tonehole it give a quick response when the key is closed. Players use expressions like the notes "pop" when you play fast.
YES! This perfectly describes what I am looking for. I had two horns (MK6 & SBA) overhauled with hard pads and particular attention was paid to leveling the toneholes. Other than needing a few tweaks in the first 2 weeks, They felt like this from the start, not waiting a year for the pads to dry up and harden..

This "feel" is what I've been trying to figure out. So you say the Chocolate Roos can accomplish this right from the start?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts