Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question: What's a good type/brand that will loosen a hinge or pivot screw that won't budge?

Specifics: I have a couple older clarinets; a Conn 424N and a Paul Dupre, that I'm prepping for overhauls, but there's a few pivot screws and hinge screws that won't move. I've already damaged one with the screwdriver by stripping the head of the screw, so... Plan B is to get some of that stuff and apply it and let 'em sit a bit. Probably should have been Plan A...

So, what's the good stuff? Can I get it anywhere, or just a MusicMedic kind of thing?
Also, does it matter using it on wood or metal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
available at any hardware store...... Naval Jelly .... serious rust remover

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
Sometimes you can't shift a screw because threadlock has been used. If that is the case just heating it a bit can shift it. If it's rusted then you will need some penetrating oil
If you can get the post off without too much hassle, you can heat it up without worrying about damaging the instrument. Sometimes it's best left in place.

Get as big and solid a screwdriver as you can get on the screwhead. Make sure the slot is cleaned out and the the screwdriver blade is properly shaped to fit the screw head.
Small screwdrivers are often narrow handled. If you can get one with a wider handle, it'll give you more purchase to shift stubborn screws. (I have a couple of cheap plastic handled ones. They aren't great screwdrivers but for clarinets etc they offer enough leverage to shift most stuck screws.)
After heating and oiling a couple of times as others have mentioned, it should come free.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
What griff136 said and tapping the sides of the post with a plastic or small rawhide hammer.

soak heat tap, soak heat tap, soak heat tap, Soak Heat Tap, Soak Heat Tap, SOAK HEAT TAP, SOAK HEAT TAP, SOAK HEAT TAP, SOAK HEAT TAP, SOAK HEAT TAP, SOAK HEAT TAP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts