Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm halfway through my senior year of high school and it's time for me to buy a tenor saxophone that I can use throughout college and hopefully beyond! I am planning to double major in Music Education and Music Performance. The horn I've been playing all through high school has been a Yamaha YTS 475 tenor saxophone, and I've really enjoyed; sadly it's the schools horn and I can't take it with me. I've been looking through WWBW and other sites and the ones that have stood out to me the most (mostly because of price, I'm limited to under $2,000...) are the Amati 73PQ, the Jupiter 787GL, and the Allora Paris Series. I'm planning on participating in marching band, concert and jazz ensembles as well as plenty of soloing. I was wondering out of these which would be good, or if there's an even better alternative. I appreciate any feedback
Thanks
Jimmy

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you liked the YTS-475, why not look for one used? Or even better: Before I even read your post, I thought, Yamaha YTS-62, used, of course. Should be available within your budget, too! They're good players, as sturdy as you'd like (even though I'd really say get a second sax, a YTS-23 preferably, for marching - they can be had cheap and can take a beating without breaking on you). It may not be the most iconic saxophone out there, but it's got a very good reputation, and it's really very, very versatile.

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,193 Posts
with a budget of $2000 you can do considerably better than the horn you’ve mentioned.

If you like the Yamaha sound and mechanics then indeed the 62 has to be one of the best horns out there in that category. It can be bought secondhand safely and if you have a bit of patience also relatively cheaply and you will stay within your Budget.

But there are a lot of alternatives.

$2000 buys you a lot of saxophone these days and money is always scarcer than saxophones, even good ones.

Depending where you are in the world, start looking to classified ads and see what’s out there. In some countries or regions the second hand offer is, yes, very limited but then you could look at what’s on ebay, although there are risks with buying something that you cannot see in person or test.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Initially....welcome to SOTW.
May I suggest that before making up your mind, visit a store & try as many as you can.
There is no such thing as the best tenor.....just what is best for you (& it need not be the most expensive)
Play as many as you can & I guarantee, one will stand out & "speak to you".
You are in a position where you are experienced enough to let the saxophone choose you.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome to Sax on The Web!
You have a BUNCH of great choices at that range! Try not to buy new. It's just like a new car. It's worth a lot less after you buy it and take it home. You can still get one that is quite shiny for what kind of money you're looking at, and quite a few fine ones at that. Trying out as many saxs as you can is always the best idea, but some names to look for that I really like are: Yamaha. They've got some great ones starting with the 62. YANAGISAWA. I love these horns. They have possibly the top build quality in saxophones. They do one thing at Yanagisawa: they make saxophones. You can find deals on them. Even on the 991's and perhaps the 992, but 901 & 902 and even the 800 lines will be in your price range and worth a look. Another sax I've had recently (And I still have the Bari sax) is a Viking Tenor from Rich Maraday's shop in New York. You can find the slightly used here and on eBay for under $2,000 every week. That is a bunch of saxophone for the money.
Any sax you get, take it to a good tech and have them set it up nicely so your "new"sax plays as new. That will be one of the bigger steps in your happiness with whatever great sax you choose.
Enjoy the process, enjoy the hunt, and enjoy college!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I absolutely love my cannonball. Wouldn't trade it for a VI.

·
6,715 Posts
The problem with this type of thread is that you will receive enthusiastic suggestions from those who play, & like, a particular make/model.
Fine for them....but not necessarily for you.
As an example, there have been suggestions for the excellent Yamaha 62....a good, well engineered horn.....I bought one new, because I was impressed with the reviews...... & sold it three weeks later. Not for me, I just did not like the sound. Also, as has been mentioned, it was an expensive lesson buying new.
I cannot emphasise enough that you play many I choose what you like...not necessarily the horn which suits others.
Ford and Honda make excellent cars....for most people....I find them boring, & perhaps not for you either.
There are many excellent brands out there, not necessarily the Fords & Hondas of the sax world.
Never ask an owner of a Ducatti (or indeed, anything) what he thinks of it....always ask someone who has just sold one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Captain Beeflat: As much as I agree with what you state in general, I was trying specifically not to cater to my needs and preferences but to the ones I perceived instead. I am absolutely with you that a thread like this shouldn't be about fan-boyism - it should be about helping someone. I think that while there are really great horns out there that can be had for considerably less than $2000, they're probably not what the OP is thinking about. I personally would go for a The Martin tenor (Comm III) or might get another 10M (RTH maybe?), I probably would consider a mint Yani 992 - and I certainly wouldn't go for a 62, not because it's a bad horn, but because it's not my type of horn. But someone who enjoyed playing a 475 will most definitely enjoy playing a (and indeed most probably any) 62, right? My hunch is that he should at least try - if the 62 feels right, it might be the last horn he ever needs - and it may well be that that's exactly the point of reference someone needs to be able to check out different and more interesting/exciting stuff ...

Anyhow, I won't start (or keep up) an argument about what you're saying - since you're basically right (your last sentence is so insightful it should be part of your signature, really). I just think that the OP gave us a good starting point this time - it wasn't just another "I don't know what to get" post like so many others.

M.

·
6,715 Posts
MoonMind.
I believe that we are saying exactly the same thing....neither of us can possibly know what would really appeal to the OP, so try them all.
High on the list for me too would be the Martin.
It concerns me somewhat that the OP seems to consider that purchase price is indicative of quality, when we both know that this is not necessarily the case.
Of course he should try the YTS62, it could be perfect for him.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The fact that the OP intends to march with the horn suggests that he should definitely buy used and shouldn't be getting anything too fancy, as someone above mentioned in recommending a Yamaha 23. The 62 will be hard to beat as an all-around, high quality workhorse, but the OP shouldn't rule out even less expensive quality horns from Taiwan (Viking, Mauriat, Barone, among others). A used Yanagisawa 800 or 901 would also be great.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Okay, I'll rest my case - of course, it's always best to try and play as many horns as possible. Loads more reasonable than ordering anything sight unseen on the basis of recommendations, at any rate. There are only very, very few horns that can be considered safe bets, and only if you can make sure they're in good playing condition; that said, Yamahas rank high among those because they're renowned for their sturdiness. Otherwise, yes, used Yanagisawas can be had for astonishingly little money, they're great horns to have and keep up amazingly well, too (hint: Look at my signature ...). If it hasn't become clear yet, buying new (and only sort of cheap-ish - heck, $2000 isn't cheap by any means!) probably isn't the most sensible way to get the best possible horn. Playing what's available, on the other hand, is.

M.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll jump on the Yamaha 62 bandwagon - that's a whole lotta horn for the money. Try before you buy, of course, but if you liked the 475 you'll probably love the 62.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd say a Yamaha Custom 875 if you can find one for the price, a Yamaha 62, or a Yanagisawa 901, 902, 991, or 992. As has been said before, you will also need a separate horn for marching band though. Most of the time, universities can provide you with a horn for marching band. So check into that if you can. I will also say, if you plan on being a music performance major, you will probably need an alto... I realize that you may not play much alto, but you will need one eventually. If not, very soon into your college career. There just isn't a ton of classical tenor repertoire out there. But since you are looking for a tenor, I'd still go for the one's I mentioned and preferably used instead of new if you can find a good deal. Also, your best bet may be to contact your future saxophone professor and see what their opinion on the matter is. Believe it or not, a lot of professors highly prefer one brand over the other. I don't believe in it, but it's just a fact. You may ask them what kind of mouthpiece they prefer for classical as well. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
The new viking thats on sale because people are giving Rich a hard time because of the engraving has to be the best deal anywhere right now.Otherwise a used 62,MKII or even an older yanigasawa would be excellent.

·
Registered
506 Posts
(even though I'd really say get a second sax, a YTS-23 preferably, for marching - they can be had cheap and can take a beating without breaking on you).
Please don't march with your good sax. Buy a good used sax for your primary sax but leave enough of your budget to buy a second sax to march with.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you know where and whom you'll be studying with next year, you might want to consult with him/her. Some sax professors have very fixed ideas on the proper horn for their students.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The new viking thats on sale because people are giving Rich a hard time because of the engraving has to be the best deal anywhere right now.Otherwise a used 62,MKII or even an older yanigasawa would be excellent.
That really is a ridiculous price

·
Registered
340 Posts
As an option (especially if you go down the route of having a second sax for marching), why not buy an inexpensive sax now for marching, and wait until you are at university before buying the main sax? This way, you'll get to speak with your peers, and hopefully try out a large variety before committing to a purchase.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts