Sax on the Web Forum banner

What's a decent recording/mixing software for Windows 7 laptop at $100 or less?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  saxguy007 
#1 ·
Title sums it up.

I had been using Mackie Tracktion 3 for years on my XP laptop until it died. I made several recordings, including mixes of me over Aebersold, for SOTW threads.

When I transferred the license/install to my family's new HP Windows 7 laptop, not only wouldn't the registration "take," but the sound was quirky. Also, the Mackie tech support guy said that they no longer support it.

Line6, which made my (UX1) USB recording interface, still supports it, and I installed the Win 7 driver.

So, I'm willing to pay a little for some decent, easy-to-use, feature-rich recording/effects/mixing software (which Tracktion3 was). However, I don't do this for a living, so I don't want to pay any more than a hundred bucks or so.

Anyone have any ideas? (Not counting the inevitable "go and get a Mac")

Thanks!

#2 ·
Go download reaper

Make sure you also download the user guide, and the .dll file that renders to mp3 (if that's important to you).

Try it for awhile, and decide if it's worth the $40.

#3 ·
Audacity is free

It's worth buying a mac mini just for Garage band, sorry, you knew someone would say that :lick::lick:

#4 ·
I agree that Audacity is great for the price, but reaper has tons of automation, effects, and a lot nicer user interface. In some ways, reaper is better than garageband.
(although I still prefer logic)

#9 ·
Yes, I did the on-line de-commissioning of dead laptop's "computer ID" and replaced it with ID assigned/detected on my new laptop install. Funny thing is, twice, I got a pop-up saying I successfully registered/unlocked on my new laptop. Then when I played back the demo mix, I heard all this popping and clicking. When I re-launched Tracktion, the registration did not take, and it thought it was a trial/demo again. I took that as a sign to move on-- coupled with popping and clicking..

I'm seeing a strong uniformity for giving Reaper a try! $40 seems pretty modest, especially when I can try it first, to see if it operates smoothly.

#11 ·
I like the Bias Deck software with an external sound card. I'm using the Omega Lexicon. That way I'm set whether I'm recording with a background track or using a small band.

Edit: Oops...sorry I missed the under $100 part.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:

#12 ·
OK, so I downloaded Reaper and installed it. Now I just want a quick indicator if, when playing back a complex mix, I still get that popping and clicking on my laptop's playback that I did with Tracktion3. If so, it would suggest a problem with my laptop's integrated sound card, or at least its driver.

There appears to be no "demo" song mix in the suite of stuff installed in the Reaper download package. Did I miss one? Is there a mix (i.e. with the needed supporting .wav files) available somewhere to just plug in and check out?

#21 ·
Thanks for the link to the "All Through the Night" demo song. I unzipped and referred to it successfully within REAPER. Then I played it back with no incident. Or vomiting. Sounds better with no vocals....

THis seems like a real slick software. Loads real fast. I suspect I'll be paying the $40. Thanks for the lead, everyone!

Jim

#22 ·
As a test exercise, I was able to load in an Aebersold track as a wav file and do a little blowing over it in a one-take-wonder. I used a Sennheiser 421 mic and Line6TonePort UX1 interface. Phil Barone MAC8/Vintage tenor with RPC high-baffled mouthpiece.

One minute of Maiden Voyage here:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10328546

I thought the EQ and reverb modules available in this initial install package were sort of crude, and as evidenced by my sax tone, I'm still not sure I figured them out. (are there any free-ware effects to be had and installed for these?)

All in all, I think this is a really nice, intuitive package, especially for only $40 (which I went and paid them.)

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.