Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title sums it up.

I had been using Mackie Tracktion 3 for years on my XP laptop until it died. I made several recordings, including mixes of me over Aebersold, for SOTW threads.

When I transferred the license/install to my family's new HP Windows 7 laptop, not only wouldn't the registration "take," but the sound was quirky. Also, the Mackie tech support guy said that they no longer support it.

Line6, which made my (UX1) USB recording interface, still supports it, and I installed the Win 7 driver.

So, I'm willing to pay a little for some decent, easy-to-use, feature-rich recording/effects/mixing software (which Tracktion3 was). However, I don't do this for a living, so I don't want to pay any more than a hundred bucks or so.

Anyone have any ideas? (Not counting the inevitable "go and get a Mac")

Thanks!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Go download reaper

Make sure you also download the user guide, and the .dll file that renders to mp3 (if that's important to you).

Try it for awhile, and decide if it's worth the $40.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Audacity is free

It's worth buying a mac mini just for Garage band, sorry, you knew someone would say that :lick::lick:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
I agree that Audacity is great for the price, but reaper has tons of automation, effects, and a lot nicer user interface. In some ways, reaper is better than garageband.
(although I still prefer logic)

·
Registered
75 Posts
+1 for Reaper

It's a fully-featured DAW, their support is excellent, there is a large community writing plugins, etc.

It's from the same guys who brought us WinAmp all those years ago and they're having a blast taking on the big boys. There's not much not to like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Regarding Tracktion, did you change the computer number in your my.mackie account?
+1 for Reaper btw.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding Tracktion, did you change the computer number in your my.mackie account?
+1 for Reaper btw.
Yes, I did the on-line de-commissioning of dead laptop's "computer ID" and replaced it with ID assigned/detected on my new laptop install. Funny thing is, twice, I got a pop-up saying I successfully registered/unlocked on my new laptop. Then when I played back the demo mix, I heard all this popping and clicking. When I re-launched Tracktion, the registration did not take, and it thought it was a trial/demo again. I took that as a sign to move on-- coupled with popping and clicking..

I'm seeing a strong uniformity for giving Reaper a try! $40 seems pretty modest, especially when I can try it first, to see if it operates smoothly.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Reaper is better than Audacity by a long shot.

Shortly after buying an expensive audio converter from Mackie, a new version of Windows came out and they never wrote drivers for it. I will never buy anything from them again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
I like the Bias Deck software with an external sound card. I'm using the Omega Lexicon. That way I'm set whether I'm recording with a background track or using a small band.

Edit: Oops...sorry I missed the under $100 part.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so I downloaded Reaper and installed it. Now I just want a quick indicator if, when playing back a complex mix, I still get that popping and clicking on my laptop's playback that I did with Tracktion3. If so, it would suggest a problem with my laptop's integrated sound card, or at least its driver.

There appears to be no "demo" song mix in the suite of stuff installed in the Reaper download package. Did I miss one? Is there a mix (i.e. with the needed supporting .wav files) available somewhere to just plug in and check out?

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
There is a demo song, or used to be, maybe you didnt select to install it. You could just drag and drop a midi, wav or mp3 file in there.

Are you using wdm or asio drivers? Good old asio4all is a godsend for laptop soindcards.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
OK, so I downloaded Reaper and installed it. Now I just want a quick indicator if, when playing back a complex mix, I still get that popping and clicking on my laptop's playback that I did with Tracktion3. If so, it would suggest a problem with my laptop's integrated sound card, or at least its driver.

There appears to be no "demo" song mix in the suite of stuff installed in the Reaper download package. Did I miss one? Is there a mix (i.e. with the needed supporting .wav files) available somewhere to just plug in and check out?
Sounds to me like your recorded files and the session set up have different sample rates and bit depths.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Hope he doesn't barf when he hears it:)

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Try ASIO4ALL. It's free and works with most internal sound cards. Note that you have to tell Reaper which audio driver it is to use in the preferences.

He doesn't need ASIO if he has an outboard soundcard/interface. ASIO is so old school...
External devices use ASIO if they are pro equipment. Professional ASIO is still the best option for musicians (Microsoft ASIO isn't as good though). USB audio can be problematic for many people. I would wait for USB 3.0 if you are thinking of getting it. I already installed a USB 3.0 card for an external hard drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts