Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
798 Posts
The one that I have used on occasion is Yestertunes (http://yestertunes.com/). Not overpriced, but expect a lot of stocks and reworked stocks. Some, it is true, have beefed up instrumentation, but for the most part they are four or five saxes, two or three trumpets, one or two trombones, piano, guitar, bass and drums, plus optional vocals (lots of these - vocals for tunes you've seldom heard before).

For the most part, they fit in the "dinner music" category. I would estimate of the perhaps seventy five of these that we have, we only use one or two regularly.

Your sidemen will hate the tunes, by the way. The old Warrington arrangements are written to work well with any instrumentation, at the price of being bland as hell, and the tunes themselves are a bit on the "dated" side. There are often clarinet doubles, and most of them seem to have about two choruses too many.

But, when someone comes at me for a request for "My Shawl", it's just a matter of thumbing through the Latin book, pulling up and playing it. That gets you a lot of points when you can do it.

And, not all of them are something you're going to be able to sight read instead of rehearsing it first.

· Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
798 Posts
I've got a few old guys myself (and many here would put this almost sixty year old into that category as well), and they don't mind them at all. But to people used to playing "hot charts", the stocks are anything but "fun". I have had to let a couple of younger folks go who weren't willing to play all of our stuff with the same dedication - but the change of some personnel helped with that, and the others caught on pretty quick.

The style of arranging (with all of the choruses and all) dates back to the early days of recordings, when music was flogged by recapitulating the melody line over and over. (You also note this in songs from musicals of the period - the old shows do the same thing, with two vocal choruses, then two or three dance choruses, followed by a chorus for the chorus (which is mostly made up of soprano females) and then one more chorus to round it all out.) When we play them, there's a lot of "Bottom line, second ending", just to cut down the clutter a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.