Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm sure this has been asked on here before but can't seem to find it. No results from a Google search either :(

I have a New York Meyer USA 5M and I'm trying to figure out what years these were in production. Anyone know?? From my research there is an early and a late NY USA model, the difference being a rounder chamber in the early models. I think mine's an early model but I'm no expert and could be wrong. Is there a sure fire way to check? Post some pictures on here and you guys tell me?

Thanks guys!
KCP40

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh oh, I don't know what the inside-out number is... Just a number inside the chamber?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't find a 1 or 2 anywhere on the mouthpiece. Just the 5M stamped on the table. 60s it must be then!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,851 Posts
When I was working on a cruise ship in 1975, a lady came up to me and asked, "What kind of mouthpiece are you using? (on clarinet). I told her, "You may not have heard of it, but it's a Babbitt. She replied, "I work at Babbitt." Then she offered me a deal to buy Babbitt mouthpieces for slightly above cost. All of the 4 (saxophone) mouthpieces I bought were marked "New York USA" even though they were shipped from Elkhart, Indiana. They must have been transitional mouthpieces from the factory in Indiana. Ever since, I have found some very recent Meyers made at the Babbitt factory that were great mouthpieces.

If you are looking for a mouthpiece that plays well, play everything you can find. Play high notes and low notes, play softly and very loud. Unless you are playing screaming rock, the mouthpiece you want does everything as well as possible. Don't look at the label.

And, finally, in answer to your question, it is very difficult to determine the age of your mouthpiece by the label, for reasons given above, although I believe there are those who can tell you when your mouthpiece was made by looking at it, but they will have to actually examine your piece in person. No description will satisfy a true expert.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
I'm just talking about a molding number in the chamber. Most people don't realize but later NYUSAs were actually produced by Babbitt.

Same with the small USA EBAY Otto Links, and the last large USA EB Otto Links. The first straight sig Florida Links showed up at the end of the 60s, before being taken over by Babbitt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts