Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get some info on this Truetone. The serial number on the back doesn't seem to match up with the charts i've seen on the web. Just trying to establish a ballpark value and any relevant info on the make, model, year, etc.
0530181131b.jpg 0530181131.jpg 0529181936.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,180 Posts
Correct on the year. Although the fork F# looks like a tenor, the bell looks more C Melody in the photos. Which is it? C melody body around 25" whereas a tenor is over 28".

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Correct on the year. Although the fork F# looks like a tenor, the bell looks more C Melody in the photos. Which is it? C melody body around 25" whereas a tenor is over 28".
Good eyeballs! That's a C-Melody.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,858 Posts
The C melody horns just before and just after the serial number in question shown on Saxpics all lack the spoon alternate F#. The apparent thinness of the bell could be more pronounced by the angle of the camera shot as well. If the OP can measure it from top to bottom without the neck attached, that of course would be the clincher. I think it's going to be closer to 28" than 25", but we'll see.

·
26,858 Posts
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
You got a tenor.

It's an early one though, without the front F, roller G#, etc. Needing an overhaul it's still worth around $500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see. What's the best way to go about selling these. I'm not a player and it would be good to get them to someone interested in putting them to use. I guess ebay is an option, but is it the best option? I've seen the classified on this site, are links to ebay frowned upon? I guess not knowing much about them makes me weary of listing them below fair value. An ebay auction usually yields a fair market value.

·
26,858 Posts
As a new member, you can't sell on the marketplace here as of yet. If not sure if they'll let you post an ebay link, but you can always ask a moderator first. If you're an experienced ebayer that can deal with fickle, empowered buyers who think they can return anything on a whim, and are happy shelling out both ebay and paypal fees... then yeah, go for it and you might get your best price. You could try a local sale with Craig's List, but unless the horn is in playing shape, you're going to get lowballed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts