Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the Ralph Morgan article 'A Meyer is a Meyer etc.'
No where does it mention what year a 5 went from .80 to .70 etc.
The reason I ask is I read somewhere that Phil Woods plays on New York Meyer 5 that supposedly measures the same as the Babbitts. Any insight?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. What year did they become a 'New York' Meyer?
Are the New York tip measurements by number the same as Babbitt?

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Based on this article, most readers assume the change took place in 1970. I have measured several Meyers from owners who said their father or mentor purchased them new in the 40's. They measure much closer to the 1970 chart than the 1939 chart.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Just one data point, but my original NY Meyer Bros 4M measures .065"
Which is closer to the 1970 chart (.065") in Ralph's article. I have not read it in a while but I do not think he mentions if the charts are for measurements at the very tip or inside the tip rail. This can account for a .003" difference or so.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Which is closer to the 1970 chart (.065") in Ralph's article. I have not read it in a while but I do not think he mentions if the charts are for measurements at the very tip or inside the tip rail. This can account for a .003" difference or so.
Good point--I measure at the inside edge of the rail, whereas Babbitt likely measures at the very tip. Not sure about pre-Babbitt Meyer standards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts