1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
I would say,"Superior to what?"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
I think that for songs that need words, singing is superior because then you have words -- for example, "American Pie" pretty much sucks without words, as does "99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall." So yeah, singers are better for those.

For other stuff, maybe Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings," or anything from Miles' "Kind of Blue," those would suck with words (paging Eddie Jefferson...) -- so on those, singers can f*ck off. And maybe generally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd say it depends on your altissimo range and whether he is soprano coloratura ;)

or maybe it is his idea of voice leading :D

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I would say, "I respect your opinion, but I don't agree."
And then I might say something like, "Hey, pal . . . Do you know what time it is? 'Cause this conversation is boring the hell out of me, and I think I have to be somewhere."

Of course, before leaving, I would want to say something to make them feel good so they won't be offended. Like if it's a man, I might say, "By the way, have you been working out? You look good!" But if it's a woman, I wouldn't want to say something that she might reasonably misconstrue as being pervy, so I might just say, "Hey, I love your shoes!" as I walk away.

I hope this helps . . .

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I think that for songs that need words, singing is superior because then you have words -- for example, "American Pie" pretty much sucks without words, as does "99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall." So yeah, singers are better for those.

For other stuff, maybe Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings," or anything from Miles' "Kind of Blue," those would suck with words (paging Eddie Jefferson...) -- so on those, singers can f*ck off. And maybe generally.
I know you and I both are opera lovers. I can't understand singers even if they're singing in English. As for vocalists, I still can't understand Dylan or Mick.

I mean, c'mon. As far as I'm concern Honky Tonk Woman is:

I me' a jiso faro keem in me' phis,
She try tuh tay me utstay foh a rye
She hada lee me rye aross huh showduh,
an' I jus' can see to dree huh off mah my!

BTW, have you heard the vocal version of Barber's Adagio? It's other-worldly!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I assume this was said by someone who thinks they can sing. The whole comment makes little sense. If anything this 'logic' proves the opposite is true as everybody, including 2 year olds, use words and far fewer people play instruments.

·
2,620 Posts
I would probably start asking them questions, to see if they had really thought about this, or if this was just some lame one-up kind of thing, like my 7-year-old might do.

Like: Why do you say that? In what way exactly are they "superior"? Are all songs with words (i.e. 99 Bottles of Beer - thx to Kelly) better than all songs without words (i.e. Mozart Clarinet Concerto)? Are songs with more words better than songs with fewer words? Are some words or languages better than other more words or languages? Is it still true if you do not understand the words? What if the singer does not understand the words? Does it matter who is performing it, or how well it is performed? Where does scat singing fall? How about rapping? Beatboxing?

Most likely, at some point they will (hopefully) realize they have taken a ridiculous position. Or (less likely) they may have some sort of very interesting theory worked out...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
Singers can't use circular breathing, don't have the benefit of a fresh reed and can't switch from being a soprano to a tenor - and back.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
I would say,"Superior to what?"
Exactly. And that's all I could say to the statement: "..singing was superior because of the fact that singers use words." It's a totally meaningless statement by itself.

·
2,620 Posts
It's a totally meaningless statement by itself.
True. How much I responded would depend on who it was, and how annoyed/jacked up I got at the time. My example above is only if I got all jacked up and wanted to beat them down. If I cared less, or didn't want to pick on them so badly, I would probably just say "What?" or maybe say nothing and just raise one eyebrow.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts