Sax on the Web Forum banner

What would you do in this situtation

  • Take the $300

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Hold onto the $400 price tag, and say its final

    Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Just walk away

    Votes: 30 76.9%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made it plainly obvious I need to sell one of my horns. For the past month or so, me and him have been talking price. When I wanted $800 he said $350. Now my price is $400, and he wants $300. He is only working the price, and thats it. I needed the $400, to buy a new Soprano sax, or to put away into savings One or the other. My problem is that I am at my wits end, he has repeatidly said that the person who repaired my horn was incompentent, and had no idea what they were doing.
The deal was going to be that he would pay $400 +shipping and handaling, and part of the Paypal fee like 2%. I would eat the rest of the paypal. He said wait to a certain date and he would have the money that I wanted for the horn. That date has passed, and I sent him an e-mail asking him if he would be interested still in the horn at $400. He responded by going to the old standby.

I know that if I want to continue to buy and sell instruments that I need to grow a hard skin. Is this a normal procedure?
My question to you is what would you do?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Joined
·
7,404 Posts
He really doesn't want the horn. Put it on ebay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have given him the last message, if he backs out or does his usual crap. Then I will simply start a section on my forum that I will not ever deal with again. And he will be the first name. If he doesn't want it he needs to tell me, and stop jerking me around. Also availble if he does jerk me around some more will be the conversations, which he will have to confirm becuase I have done nothing to them.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
After all that I would be inclined to mark his messages as spam...

Have you had anyone else appraise the horns value and condition? If you know your price is fair that should be enough to know you can get the price or better somewhere else.

Unless for some reason you can't/don't want to do another route - I would walk away from this one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the price is fair. I have put more than $300 into the horn, and I PM'ed a Member who wons one of these horns to have him appraise his horn. His appraisel was close to $750, which the horn is like in perfect condition. I took off from the price the finish, and how much work I thought the horn needed. I think that the horn is worth that amount. I would have included a mouthpeice, unused reed, and a ligature with the horn. Grantit that the mouthpiece is not great.
I want the reputation of someone who charges a fair price on a horn, and it is exactly as described. I am trying to do that.
My essential problem with the seller is that to him I am starting to think this is a game. I put my own money into this horn, to get it to the point where it is at now. I have been straight forward and honest about the condition of the horn from the get go. I am giving him a day to either buy the horn, or officially back out. If he plays the game I am going to respond with my sig. ;)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
14,268 Posts
Carbs: Don't take it so personally. Buying and selling anything is a negotiation. He offers . . . you either accept or walk. It is that easy - no need to get into name-calling or opening a thread to diss the guy.

You have your price and he has his - if you can't agree, no harm. I've bought horns before where I immedaitely paid the asking price - because I wanted them and the price was reasonable enough for me to pay. But on other horns, I've walked away because of the price. I guess I didn't want them that much. DAVE
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave Dolson said:
Carbs: Don't take it so personally. Buying and selling anything is a negotiation. He offers . . . you either accept or walk. It is that easy - no need to get into name-calling or opening a thread to diss the guy.

You have your price and he has his - if you can't agree, no harm. I've bought horns before where I immedaitely paid the asking price - because I wanted them and the price was reasonable enough for me to pay. But on other horns, I've walked away because of the price. I guess I didn't want them that much. DAVE
I am not going to resort to name calling. I am willing to negotate the price to an extent. But when has it become too much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
From reading your previous posts Carbs, I gather you're looking for a pro alto for college/high school. The Martin Handcraft Troubadour is indeed a PRO horn. It will play in-tune and with a huge dark sound. The keywork isn't slow. The left-hand pinky table might be a little akward and not as easy as a modern horn, but it's workable. Any horn can be played just as fast as a MKVI, you just have to learn it. The only reason this horn wouldn't work for college is if you're professor has a strict horn policy, such as a Rascher-type school.

The reason I know these horns is my main jazz horn is a Martin Handcraft Imperial, which is identicle to the Troubadour but with left-hand bell keys, and it has 3 right-hand side keys instead of the two. It is truley a GREAT pro horn. You should consider keeping it, and not buying a pro alto. You would save a lot of money and trouble.

That's just my two cents on the issue. Take it or leave it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ThunderWhale said:
From reading your previous posts Carbs, I gather you're looking for a pro alto for college/high school. The Martin Handcraft Troubadour is indeed a PRO horn. It will play in-tune and with a huge dark sound. The keywork isn't slow. The left-hand pinky table might be a little akward and not as easy as a modern horn, but it's workable. Any horn can be played just as fast as a MKVI, you just have to learn it. The only reason this horn wouldn't work for college is if you're professor has a strict horn policy, such as a Rascher-type school.

The reason I know these horns is my main jazz horn is a Martin Handcraft Imperial, which is identicle to the Troubadour but with left-hand bell keys, and it has 3 right-hand side keys instead of the two. It is truley a GREAT pro horn. You should consider keeping it, and not buying a pro alto. You would save a lot of money and trouble.

That's just my two cents on the issue. Take it or leave it.
Thanks Thunderwale, I have thought out the issue. I can't afford to have a horn that I can't play on a regular bases. It needs work by a saxophone repair tech. Shipping and fee's to repair the horn, would mean that I lose a huge amount of money. It needs some work, but I honestly don't know what is wrong with the horn. Right now I would rather cash in my chips and kiss the horn goodbye.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
Hey Carbs,

I mean NO offense, but your ad came across as desperate. I think your potential buyer sees you as a novice seller that desperately wants a different horn and will eventually give on your price. I've made that mistake MANY times in the past!

I don't sell much, but when I do I clearly establish an asking price and leave it. People are welcome to make offers via PM, if it's too low I tell them that. When you post a price and lower it within 24 or 48 hours you're telling buyers one of two things: I have no idea what this is really worth, or I'm desperate to unload this thing. Figure out a fair price from the get-go and entertain reasonable offers. When you drop as quickly and as far as you did, many buyers probably lost confidence in your horn.

When you say things like "Right now I would rather cash in my chips and kiss the horn goodbye," it is clear you are willing to take a loss. That will actually scare some buyers away and draw bargain hunters in.

Again, no offense intended, I just thought I'd try to help you out!

-Andy
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Andy.
This is the first horn that I am trying to sell that is my horn. I put my money into this horn, and it is taking up dust. I understand what you are saying. I did come across as desperate. Right now I have no idea what I will do. I will may throw my money into savings, and get some great Alto sometime down the line. I have no idea.
There are people I would deal with anytime they were great people to deal with. Again they were not my horns, a friends. But this person I think you are right. If I get another horn I am not going to do the followin.
1) Boast how much I paid for the horn
2) Talk about the problems pubicly
3) Pick a price and leave it.

It is to late :( to do any of those. But if it doesn't sell soon. I am going to forget about a Soprano, or an Alto or anything. Relist it permantly at a price I think that it is worth, and leave it. Eventually someone will want the horn at that price.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
I sold a nice 10M in college for $600 because I was too wrapped up in something else! I don't remember why I need the money, probably for an amp or set of speakers, but I sure remember that horn!!! Did the same thing with a mint Martin/Yani alto...

Sounds like you have a number of opportunities right now and I can understand why you wouldn't want to pass them up, but don't sell your Martin short to grab a passing fancy.

Oh, as far as #2 up there, let buyers know everything about the horn and if it needs regulated or a repair. You did the right thing there by disclosing the condition. Just set your asking price to reflect the needed repair. I sold a neat old King Zephyr that needed quite a bit or work by being up front and fair about it. Selling is much harder than buying, spend some time reading the sale ads of our more distinguished sellers, they sure know what they are doing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I talked about the problems in another thread, to try to figure out the problem. Other than that I am very upfron about the problems. Like I said, my goal is to become a very reputable dealer, and saxophone player here. Anyway I will leave the price at $375, and put it on e-bay as a buy it now at that price. If someone wants it with the problems I will tell them then we both will win.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
With good pictures and an honest description you should do just fine. I hope you get what your heart is set on, just make sure it's really what you want and not just a 'great deal'. Best of luck to you!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks.
My plan now and I am going to try and stick with it. Is see how much I can put into savings. Then if I decide that I NEED a new saxophone, I will take a portion out to deal with what I decide.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update.
The person wanted his price and thats it. I dropped it another portion, and he declined. I then walked, and he came twisting more what I had said. And I said goodbye.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
Joined
·
3,310 Posts
IF you need $400 and its worth 400 or more, then stick to your guns. If he wont pay that for it and its worth that, then find another buyer.

Negotiation/ Haggling is par for the course, but if the guy doesnt have the money then walk away. It should not take days and days to finalise a transaction.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, and I am starting a list of people I would work with, and people I won't. He is deffiantly on the won't list. If he didn't want the horn at the price I was offering or anywhere close to the price of the horn, then he shouldn't of done it. I am bringing it to a store today for consignment so that it can be put up on e-bay. I will post the link. However the person who put me through all of this crap is on a permant Never sale list. And later on I may have some good stuff up for sale, at a great price.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
25,968 Posts
Carbs said:
I agree, and I am starting a list of people I would work with, and people I won't. He is deffiantly on the won't list. If he didn't want the horn at the price I was offering or anywhere close to the price of the horn, then he shouldn't of done it.
Carbs...
It's simply negotiation. You've set yourself up as a mark by jumping from one horn to another and appearing desperate in your for sale ads. By even making this post, you're walking a thin line in starting yet another public war where none is warranted. What do you want? Do you want the person you're slighting to show up and challenge you? Do you want to keep this going until you slip and give up their identity; intentionally or accidentally? This is a time bomb you started. I'd suggest diffusing it now by considering it a learning experience and moving on.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top