Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today, about what I would do with my YAS-23 Alto. I mean give it a new finish, Pads, I mean totally customize it. I can't think of any down side except for the cost. But if you had a 23 that in a few months you would not be using anymore really. What kind of stuff would you do with it? What I am thinking about doing is
White Roo Pads, Big Metal Resonators, and a new finish. Though I would have to research ways of redoing the finish. I think a Chemical bath would do it, but I am not sure.

So my question is if you had a horn that you weren't really going to do anything with, and it is just a back up. (Or it will be) What would you do with it? No selling options here. Sorry:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have an old 23 I haven't used for years and years. I have always wanted to have it overhauled, and see how good I can make it play. The 23's sound is actually really good, and if the ergos were somehow tweaked or perfected to my exact preferences, I think it would be an amazing horn.

Maybe replace the springs with really nice blue steel, nice pads, maybe a new neck, etc. It seems like a fun project.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I am saving for a Yani 901 Alto. So after I get the horn I will be clear to give my Alto a face and tone lift. Maybe make into a Killer Jazz horn. Who knows. I am wondering, what kind of Lacquer would look good on the 23? No matter what I do to it, it would still be a 23. I was thinking about getting it Sandblasted, but I don't know.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Zebra stripes? Leopard spots? Tiger stripes?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
So, if you lacquer your oral cavity, does it change the sound?;):D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
really not that blinkin much

the finish makes little difference in sound

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, but how would it look is another question? I would have to be careful, because of the serial number.
Right now, I am thinking Black, fits the nickel keys. White Roo Pads, with metal resonators. Totally recork the instrument. What AM I MISSING(Besides the cash)?

·
Registered
337 Posts
hakukani said:
So, if you lacquer your oral cavity, does it change the sound?;):D
Most likely, I had my front teeth coated in platinum, and I get a real nice Brecker vibe off of it.

I would also recommend replacing the cork on the neck with kevlar, it just makes that extra difference.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you do a search for Caswell Plating Products, they offer a "Plug 'N Plate" kit which would allow you to plate it with silver, gold, whatever. I've used it to some success in restoring finishes, although i've never taken on a whole sax.

The white roos look nice, but I almost think if you went silver on the sax, then black pads might look cooler. I know a guy who did that with a curved Conn Soprano and it looked sweet.

I've used my Selmer neck on my 23. The octave mechanism doesn't work, but just for testing purposes, the sound quality was improved incredibly. Made it sound much more like a pro horn (probably upper intermediate). So if a new neck is in your budget, it'd make the difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I would just replace pads as needed, not a complete job. Don't spend money on it, play it. It is not worth all that much. If your lacquer is bad, strip it off and make it bare brass so it will be even all over.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Carbs said:
Right now, I am thinking Black, fits the nickel keys. White Roo Pads, with metal resonators. Totally recork the instrument. What AM I MISSING(Besides the cash)?
Taste...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Im with matt, i mean is a yamaha 23, a nice horn.

Pass it on to someone who can really use it!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be using it as my Main Alto, till atleast December. After that it will be going to be my backup. Its a great horn. I am just wondering what you would do with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts