Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that I had never seen until today. This is an (date of manufacture 1992) Oleg leather gig bag with an inflatable bladder inside.
My best guess is that the inflatable bladder was an experimental thing they were trying to add some protection.
I usually notice the brave working Pro players who are brave enough to use these leather gig bags.
Personally, I have always stayed away from them because I don't trust myself enough not to damage my tenor.
I took these photos with my Mark VI tenor packed in it and I have to say it's a nearly perfect fit.
This is the first air inflatable leather gig bag that I have ever seen. It was a late night auction and I was tempted enough to give it a try out of curiosity. If nothing else, it is the most lightweight and compact case I have ever owned.
Comfort Bag Automotive exhaust Couch Personal protective equipment
Brown Comfort Tints and shades Human leg Personal protective equipment
Bag Automotive design Beige Personal protective equipment Athletic shoe

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Be careful about using it on a plane - even a change from sea level to ambient in a pressurized cabin could do some damage due to overexpansion.

Reactions: JL and The Big Woo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be careful about using it on a plane - even a change from sea level to ambient in a pressurized cabin could do some damage due to overexpansion.
This was honestly just a nastalgia purchase for me. I would never travel with my horn in a gig bag, and that's because I'm clumsy.
There's a certain kind of old school player that I still see with these around Denver. And nearly every single one of them had killer chops and the confidence to carry their sax in one of these. I may actually get a tip of the hat or nod of the head if they see me with this! :cool::cool::cool:

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
indeed on a plane it would be a bad idea.

Over-inflating it, even at sea level, may result is hard shocks transferring to the inner parts and the denting the saxophone.

Gigbags ( Some Dutch people call them Kickbags because of mispronunciation which I find very amusing! ) are not bad if you are careful but that鈥檚 the operative word, being careful, can anyone say that they are always careful, every time, all of the time?

TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
This was honestly just a nastalgia purchase for me. I would never travel with my horn in a gig bag, and that's because I'm clumsy.
There's a certain kind of old school player that I still see with these around Denver. And nearly every single one of them had killer chops and the confidence to carry their sax in one of these. I may actually get a tip of the hat or nod of the head if they see me with this! :cool::cool::cool:
Around Denver eh? I've had to turn down a few calls to action up there. Hard to find time to make the trip up from COS. Guess I'd disappoint showing up with my modern horns in their stock cases ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Around Denver eh? I've had to turn down a few calls to action up there. Hard to find time to make the trip up from COS. Guess I'd disappoint showing up with my modern horns in their stock cases ;)
You've got some national heavy hitters playing down there at the Broadmoor once in a while that I'd like to catch some time.
Up here, there's just a certain kind of player that still use these gig bags and they may look like this. They also often have a certain favorite pair of leather shoes and a certain favorite Swiss watch.
Clothing Smile Outerwear Hairstyle Coat

TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
You've got some national heavy hitters playing down there at the Broadmoor once in a while that I'd like to catch some time.
Up here, there's just a certain kind of player that still use these gig bags and they may look like this. They also often have a certain favorite pair of leather shoes and a certain favorite Swiss watch. View attachment 111934
Oh yeah, like this one?! (Thought it was at the world arena, guess I was wrong).
Musical instrument Font Musician Electric blue Music

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, like this one?! (Thought it was at the world arena, guess I was wrong).
View attachment 111937
That's just sad 馃槃馃槅
With the Broadmoor I was thinking more along the lines of Gerald Albright and Freddie Rodriguez Senior types of players. I hear that they get some real talent. I've never been to a live show there, just a wedding.

Registered
The case looks neat. Fun purchase. Does it hold the air for any length of time though, or does it slowly leak and deflate?

Registered
If the plane flys over water it may be deemed a flotation device and you may be allowed to stow it under the seat. Then it realy would be a kick bag fror the passenger behind you. Up here in Toronto we call them dent bags.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The case looks neat. Fun purchase. Does it hold the air for any length of time though, or does it slowly leak and deflate?
It looks like Oleg sourced a high-quality camping level bladder and the valve seems to be very well made. It's got smooth bearings and you press it down like a compression air hose fitting and then blow. And then when you release the button it locks/seals. It held air overnight, but also tasted like old plastic so I wasn't planning on using it. They have it stitched in with removable laces and buttons so I thought I'd probably just remove it at some point.
I'm surprised that there's not a high-tech 2021 version of this out there somewhere. I think that a more mature/aged player who wants weight savings would love something like this.

Registered
I once gave a ride to an older gentleman who was a very fine trombone player. I watched him slide his irreplaceable Selmer trombone in a soft vinyl case into the back of my Jeep Cherokee, right next to my baritone sax in its hard case. One hard turn or slam on the brakes and it would have been "bye bye bone". I put the trombone in a safer place.

You can be as careful as you want, right up till someone sets a PA cabinet on your horn in its soft case.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I once gave a ride to an older gentleman who was a very fine trombone player. I watched him slide his irreplaceable Selmer trombone in a soft vinyl case into the back of my Jeep Cherokee, right next to my baritone sax in its hard case. One hard turn or slam on the brakes and it would have been "bye bye bone". I put the trombone in a safer place.

You can be as careful as you want, right up till someone sets a PA cabinet on your horn in its soft case.
Agree with this 100%. I think for many older players, often serious players, it's about the heavy weight of carrying your axe to rehearsal and the gig. At a certain age the heavy lifting sucks.

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
So true. And if you drive up to the mountains or to somewhere like Denver (the mile-high city) starting out from near sea level, the airbag would expand to a certain extent. Even a (considerable) temperature increase would cause the bag to expand. Finally, it's not really form fitted to a sax in that it would exert equal pressure all around the horn, possibly on spots where you wouldn't want too much pressure.

Seems like a bad idea to me. There are plenty of excellent cases out there, so no need to mess around with something like this.

Registered
I鈥檝e seen inflatable cases used for bikes on airplanes before with no issues. Although bikes aren鈥檛 as sensitive to shock as saxophones are.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
I鈥檝e seen inflatable cases used for bikes on airplanes before with no issues. Although bikes aren鈥檛 as sensitive to shock as saxophones are.
Interesting - thanks for that.

It looks like there are 鈥渃utouts鈥 around sensitive components. I don鈥檛 see how that can be adapted to a saxophone in a credible way - most every part of the saxophone is sensitive in one way or another.

Reactions: Manitou
1 - 20 of 26 Posts