Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a Guardala Silver studio mouthpiece that I've purchased from SOTW member few years ago. As you can see, it is in pretty good condition. I applied 3M tape to protect it from ligature scratches.

As we all know, Guardala's name is showing up on bad news, and I'm wondering what will happen to his mouthpieces.

He won't be able to make new handmade pieces and that should drive up price of his pieces. However, he may end up in the jail thereby lowering the price due to bad publicity.

What do you think will happen?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Beowulfmk said:
I own a Guardala Silver studio mouthpiece that I've purchased from SOTW member few years ago. As you can see, it is in pretty good condition. I applied 3M tape to protect it from ligature scratches.

As we all know, Guardala's name is showing up on bad news, and I'm wondering what will happen to his mouthpieces.

He won't be able to make new handmade pieces and that should drive up price of his pieces. However, he may end up in the jail thereby lowering the price due to bad publicity.

He hasn't made handmade pieces since the 90s. The current "handmade" ones are handmade by PMS in Germany, based on his designs. People will still want them because Brecker played one, so don't worry about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
What's your point? I'm not a Guardala fan either, but so what? Let's just assume for a minute that no famous sax players play Guardalas. So? Hype is hype, it's not rational; Guardala endorsements have been over and if this was gonna effect prices, it would have long ago. And if a Guardala works for someone, should they worry about who else plays one?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
There are quite a few people on this forum who use them and like them very much. My understanding is that most of the big names who were using them have switched to other makers. Not sure, but, you may be able to find out who at this link. http://www.du.edu/lamont/Mpce.html

It's a little old but may be of some use. Also, I think Theo Wanne has a similar chart as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Beowulfmk said:

Man thats a nice looking piece. Yeah I think the price of Guardalas are in a decline. I'll take that off of your hands if you would like. I'll give you $100.:D I love my LT King.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're going to skyrocket in value. The most public of the victims still swears by his Guardala mouthpieces, and that's quite telling. Furthermore, there's a good possibility that this case could open up a whole new can of worms in regard to who has the legal rights to market current Guardala mouthpieces; which could possibly shut down production of the newer ones. Also, it had been reported long ago on alt.music.saxophone by Guardala's old business partner that Guardala no longer had the hands for the job. If true, that will probably come out again during the criminal prosecution, and when more folks realize there will never again be handmade Guardala pieces (if they didn't already assume same) and it would be unrealistic to think that making new ones could be part of a restitution plan, that could bump prices even more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Grumps said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're going to skyrocket in value. The most public of the victims still swears by his Guardala mouthpieces, and that's quite telling. Furthermore, there's a good possibility that this case could open up a whole new can of worms in regard to who has the legal rights to market current Guardala mouthpieces; which could possibly shut down production of the newer ones. Also, it had been reported long ago on alt.music.saxophone by Guardala's old business partner that Guardala no longer had the hands for the job. If true, that will probably come out again during the criminal prosecution, and when more folks realize there will never again be handmade Guardala pieces (if they didn't already assume same) and it would be unrealistic to think that making new ones could be part of a restitution plan, that could bump prices even more.
I agree with you Grumps, but how can the prices of the handmade DG's go much higher? They are already going for the price of a decent sax. I just can't picture mouthpieces fetching higher prices than a nice new horn. I'll never pay 2 grand for a handmade Guardala, although I would love to have one. I guess another part of this problem is the people shelling out ridiculous amounts of money to own one of these. If people would quit buying these at these astronomical prices, then maybe the price would come down.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Finnerski said:
... but how can the prices of the handmade DG's go much higher? They are already going for the price of a decent sax.
I thought the same thing a couple of years ago when I got to try a studio and an MB for tenor. Both were hand made originals in absolute mint condition and in the original packaging tubes. Now I didn't care for the MB, although the studio had potential for me. However, the asking price was around $750 or so and I was getting away from metal pieces in general. Of course now I wish I had bought them both and sold them for twice as much... or maybe three times? We'll see.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Grumps said:

I would imagine that even if they lose the rights to the name, they'd keep making them and just call them something else. They've really already done this by changing the name of the Brecker II to the "MBII". Gary Sugal has done this as well, when Jerry Bergonzi stopped endorsing his pieces. I think that the "Super Gonz" is now just called the "SG". I could imagine the same thing happening with the entire Guardala line; they'd just change it to the "DG" line or something.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Eh, Guardala's are generally perfected modern Dukoff's. You can save yourself the cash by playing a stock Dukoff and having some work done to it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
joelsp said:
Eh, Guardala's are generally perfected modern Dukoff's. You can save yourself the cash by playing a stock Dukoff and having some work done to it.

Or buying an unfinshed one and send it to phil barone . :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jmm1713, is the second one made by Phil Barone? DG signature seems different than my studio. Mine's signature is being embossed in dots while yours don't.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts