Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for another neck,but dont want to do any changes on my horn!
Meaning that i still want yo use my Serie III,if I want to.
So what are my options besides Serie III necks?
Thanks
Saxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts
"Perfectly"? Hah! Ain't gonna happen. Even another Serie III neck may not fit well. Been there, done that.

What is it that you want from the horn?

Give a Ref 36 or Ref 54 neck a shot - but don't expect that they will be a best fit. Make sure your tech knows how to work with a neck tenon. I've witnessed some ugly outcomes.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Don't change your sax, adjust the new neck to fit it instead. That should be easily done by a good tech.

·
33,587 Posts
A tech will expand or contract the new neck to fit the horn.
The horn and the original neck remain unchanged.
That would be the ideal. I've seen otherwise - by a NAPBIRT-certified tech. He first over-expanded the neck, then couldn't reduce the diameter, so went to expand the receiver. Bottom line: both original neck AND horn were changed, and the result did not mate well.

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dr G and the others!
If the neck needs small alteration,find,,as long as my original one and horn is nt adjust,,great!
About a Gloger,yes i would love to have a used copper one!
But they are rare,,i think!
All the best
Mario

·
33,587 Posts
If the neck needs small alteration,find,,as long as my original one and horn is nt adjust,,great!
The bottom line of my concerns, Mario, is that you can witness some of your tech's neck fitting work on other horns before you let him/her work on yours.

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Dr G there might be a risk if the guy really does t know what he s doing right?
Though,he s quite a reputable tech,and has been doing this since he was a teenager,and now took over the business of his Dad many years ago.
So i do have confidence in him.
I am less confident to find a good used neck ..
Thanks again for all the replies.
My regards
Mario

·
Registered
98 Posts
About a Gloger,yes i would love to have a used copper one!
But they are rare,,i think!
All the best
Mario
Hi Mario,
Did you consider a Copper Series III neck?I play a Copper Series III neck on my Series II tenor (I know it's not the same as your horn). I bought it "on sale"from Sax.co.uk last year.
It really improved response on my horn and made the tone warmer. It fits my horn perfectly without any adjustments.Might be worth a trial, if anyone has one close by.

Eddie

·
33,587 Posts
So Dr G there might be a risk if the guy really doesn't know what he's doing right?
Though,he's quite a reputable tech,and has been doing this since he was a teenager,and now took over the business of his Dad many years ago.
So i do have confidence in him.
As I have learned (the hard way), not every tech has all the best tools for doing neck work. It is also a less common task, so many techs just won't have as much experience fitting necks as, say, checking for leaks and adjust key heights. Your tech may be very good at what he does, but neck work may not be among his talents. It is good to have a questioning attitude.

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Edroge
Did nt know that Selmer made copper neck!
Thanks
I will consider that for sure
Regards
Mario

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone knows who sells Selmer III copper necks?
I ve been searching the net,but i don t know,,if there are some,where?
Thanks
Mario

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I believe by copper, he meant lacquered brass (85% copper, 15% zinc for Selmer necks). Selmer doesn't offer a pure copper neck (check options shown at selmer.fr).
If you go to sax.co.uk, where edrodge says he bought his, the picture of their copper neck looks just like a lacquered brass to me.

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guto
That s why i could nt find it.
I will look for a used one.
All the best
Mario

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe by copper, he meant lacquered brass (85% copper, 15% zinc for Selmer necks). Selmer doesn't offer a pure copper neck (check options shown at selmer.fr).
If you go to sax.co.uk, where edrodge says he bought his, the picture of their copper neck looks just like a lacquered brass to me.
These necks are also called Goldbrass. You're right Guto 85% copper according to Selmer website.
I hope you come across a used one and you like it Mario.
Eddie

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,785 Posts
saxo; stick with the Selmer Series III necks. As already said, you can have any number of necks fitted TO YOUR HORN. Nobody fits the horn to the neck. That example posted is some kind of freakish abberation. One particularly interesting SIII neck is the Sterling silver one. I play one of those on my late MK VI tenor and its a great one. Kessler Music stocks Selmer and other necks and usually has a good selection in stock.

http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/saxnecks.html

·
Registered
430 Posts
These necks are also called Goldbrass. You're right Guto 85% copper according to Selmer website.
I hope you come across a used one and you like it Mario.
Eddie
I bought one 12-15 years ago. At that time it was called "red brass". Still playing it. No modifications needed on my Series II tenor. (419xxx). Sometimes I try the original series II neck, but always go back to the red brass series III....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts