Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about a time where you tried a mouthpiece, and not only was it not right for you, but was so terrible you'd rather just forget what a saxophone is. The only rule is that it can't be the wrong mouthpiece for your instrument (i.e. tenor mpc on an alto).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I have tried some terrible ones. Maybe the worst one was a blue VANDOREN (for tenor) whose model I have now forgotten the name of.

Edit: Now I remember: it was a blue Jumbo Java. A real nightmare.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
My first horn (a TT tenor) came with a Rico Graftonite. Good Lord, that thing sounded horrible! Same result on my SDA - I'd almost rather have a flock of peacocks in the house.

Maybe a worse experience was discovering that the crunching sounds my wife's puppy was making were coming from my 10MFan Black Widow.
Yeah, that was worse...

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Worst playing experience was a high baffle small tipped (around a 6 I think) Beechler tenor piece- nasty.

Every time a came across a mouthpiece on ebay refaced by blackwoodjoe I'd have a pretty bad experience just looking at the piece.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My first horn (a TT tenor) came with a Rico Graftonite. Good Lord, that thing sounded horrible! Same result on my SDA - I'd almost rather have a flock of peacocks in the house.

Maybe a worse experience was discovering that the crunching sounds my wife's puppy was making were coming from my 10MFan Black Widow.
Yeah, that was worse...
You win this discussion so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that was worse...
That's okay, I've found not to let dogs in my room when I was in elementary school. I woke up one morning to my stock mouthpiece across the floor in little pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
That's easy....Rico Graftonites and Metalites.

(Thank you Chilehead for getting there first).

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know...y'all can save your breath ....and your ink.

These are the most horrible...things....I have ever had to blow thru.

Yeah, yeah I put 'em away ...and came back to 'em later. New ones, right outta box...

They got 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances and occasionally the freaks still show up in the cases of project horns I acquire, and just for kicks I'll 'try' one again even then....

Verdict is always the same. I am completely befuddled by those who are fans or who would ever recommend these.

Atrocious objects, truly.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
My alto and tenor Metalites play circles around my modern Links, which are just slightly stuffier and duller than my old Conn Standard Steelay alto.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Yeah, that was worse...
My dad (a trumpet man) was always saying "I gotta find a trumpet player dentist!"
You need to find a sax player veterinarian for that dog, to help with his biting problem, and any other embouchure issues he's having.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'd say my worst was a Woodwind and Co. "Melliphone Special" tenor piece. It is like a very narrow clarinet chamber, with a baffle that is substantially high and concave (!), in both directions, beginning right at the tip rail. From there it opens into a ginormous, bulbous secondary chamber. If it were made of steel it could probably function well as a precombustion chamber on an old Diesel engine. It sounds worse than my old indirect-injected Mercedes Diesel. I still have it. It makes a nice conversation piece. I think the old Woodwind & Co. ad says it was "the choice of dance men", which sort of explains it (?). It's clearly not the right choice for sax players.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure what mouthpiece it was, but a friend of mine let me try a mouthpiece with an insanely small opening and told me that I had to be 'careful' to get a sound out of it. There was almost no gap between the reed and the tip of the mouthpiece. I don't know where or how he got it and I don't want to know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jody Jazz Classic Baritone, this is the only Mouthpiece I have ever truly just thrown out.
Didn’t even try to sell it, just tossed it for the garbage it was.
Metallite Tenor, tried to give this away to a guy who bought my Keilwerth tenor years ago, he politely declined to accept it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's easy....Rico Graftonites and Metalites.

(Thank you Chilehead for getting there first).

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know...y'all can save your breath ....and your ink.

These are the most horrible...things....I have ever had to blow thru.

Yeah, yeah I put 'em away ...and came back to 'em later. New ones, right outta box...

They got 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances and occasionally the freaks still show up in the cases of project horns I acquire, and just for kicks I'll 'try' one again even then....

Verdict is always the same. I am completely befuddled by those who are fans or who would ever recommend these.

Atrocious objects, truly.
Some folks like 'em, some folks loathe 'em. I've tried liking them but find them more harsh than I like. But they have potential. You just need to, ahem, unlock that potential with a little bit of effort.
Like so:

First, start with one someone else already modded (this is a bari M5 btw):
View attachment 232356

Then reshape the baffle a little more:
View attachment 232354

Then massage it a little more:
View attachment 232352

And Voila! A Metalite that doesn't sound or play like any Metalite ever.:wink:
OK. I admit it's not the prettiest work. But, this piece is a really smooth player with most of the Metalite's inherent harshness banished.
I can play it sweetly at a whisper and still make it roar at will. The tone is full, rounded and a little on the dark side, even up top where Metalites tend to be thin and harsh.
And it was a fun little project that didn't cost me very much.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Modern Otto Link Tone Edge 6. Sheesh, what a dud.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any and every Otto Link I've ever tried. Dozens of them. Yuck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Modern Otto Link Tone Edge 6. Sheesh, what a dud.
I'll second that. Bought a 6* for bari with great anticipation for concert band. What a let down. It did absolutely nothing for me. Same with a modern Berg ebonite for the bari. Great expectations only to be completely underwhelmed by how it actually played.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts