Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I bought a 20's Conn New Wonder, and it came with what I presume is the original mouthpiece. I read that Conn once made its own mouthpieces, called 'Comet'. Is this one of them?

It has no manufacturing or type markings, but it does have a nifty chrome reed protector marked

Code:
KEACH & GREENE
PHILA. PA
PAT. PENDING
which can be flipped back for playing (but is kind of big and heavy, making it difficult to position the reed properly because it wants to shift all the time).

The tip opening is quite small, and the overall length is 82 mm.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,832 Posts
Can't be sure, but the mouthpiece looks like a vintage (1920s) Martin mouthpiece. I think they are one of the better '20s mouthpieces.

I have one of the "flip up" ligatures and I love it. I'm a sucker for a gimmick, but this lig plays well and doesn't slip.

My MYSPACE page, with bass sax recordings and a solo on an original 1861 Adolphe Sax saxophone:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Looks like an old babbit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
The Conn Comet was a Yellow translucent plastic streamlined alto mouthpiece. It kind of looked similar to those Runyon Art Pepper models.
I knew this great lead alto player from the Quad Cities Jazz Ensemble in 1980(Moline, Rock Island, Illinois, and Davenport, Bettendorf Iowa) named Jack Scott, who, in his 60's back then, loved his Conn Comet mouthpiece and played the hell out of it! He was a contempory of Marshall Royal, and Johnny Hodges. I learned so much from Jack. He could play it sweet or Hot.
You don't hear that kind of Alto playing anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it's not easy with few distinguishing details.

Would pictures of the chamber/baffle make a difference?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Looks like a Martin. I love those Keach and Green ligatures. They're really cool...the tenor player in the Deffayet Quartet used to play one, I believe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
bruce bailey said:
Comets also came in standard black and possibly red.
Thanks Bruce,
I never knew they came in other colors,
I thought they were all that yellow lucite color...
Back then(1980) all I cared about was MEYER this and MEYER that...
I was close minded to anything that wasn't a NY Meyer or an Early Babbitt Meyer. Jack Scott, played the heck out of his Conn Comet.
<<He truly loved that mouthpiece>>

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
J.Max said:
Looks like a Martin. I love those Keach and Green ligatures. They're really cool...
Apart from them being a little fidgety to get right ;) Maybe I should give it a try on another one of my mouthpieces, see if it sits better.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
bruce bailey said:
Comets also came in standard black and possibly red.
I've seen them in red and (if my faulty brain isn't failing me...) White.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts