Sax on the Web Forum banner

What type of sax do you play? Why your choice?

• Soprano,

• Alto

• Tenor

• Bari

• Two of above

• Three and more

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Tenor, mainly because of the sound. I appreciate all the other saxes too but I think my body is suited to the tenor and I only want to play one horn for the maximum mind-body connection!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All Woodwind Greats!

Question today is: what type of sax do you have and play predominantly? Is it an alto, tenor, bari, soprano? Or do you have multiple?

Would you expand on your choice? Let us know the reason for your choice. There is no right or wrong answer. It is your personal preference.
I have alto and tenor but idk which one I like the most. I feel like I like alto more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
primary tenor also my singing voice. King silversonic. my alto is mvi 66xxx and sop martin curvy 76xxx deep and dark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first preference is alto. Have been playing it for over 50 years. Still have and play my MKVI that my parents purchased used in 1968. I purchased a bari this spring and have been really enjoying getting to know it. MY third choice is the soprano. Used to play in a little street band that already had an alto, a tenor and trumpet and no clarinet, so I came in with the soprano. Lastly I have a MKVI tenor (5 digit) but I can honestly say that I haven't played it enough to feel confident or competent from a tone perspective.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Question today is: what type of sax do you have and play predominantly? Is it an alto, tenor, bari, soprano? Or do you have multiple?

Would you expand on your choice? Let us know the reason for your choice. There is no right or wrong answer. It is your personal preference.
I have all four. Started on alto in 5th grade, but moved to bari in 6th, using rental and school instruments. When I got to 8th grade, my parents bought me a student model tenor. I got into a horn band with that horn, and play gigs to this day on tenor, though I upgraded 3 years later to a Mark VI. When I was applying to music schools, the auditions were to be on alto, so I bought another Mark VI, which I auditioned and took my applied music lessons on in college. My senior year in HS, I was in my repair shop getting some work done on my tenor and saw this beautiful Mark VI low A bari in SILVER. Turns out, they just took it on trade and I bought it for $450. I played that horn in the Eastman Jazz Ensemble for 5 years. While at Eastman, I was borrowing a soprano for saxophone quartets, so I decided to buy another Mark VI to complete my set.

I play Alto, Tenor and Soprano in a couple of cover bands, and also with my horn band from HS (we still get at least one gig per year, after 50 years together.) I also play bari in a couple of concert bands and local big bands. That is my favorite of all - playing bari in a big band. It was likely the 5 years at Eastman that got me hooked on that chair for life.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts

After some sixty or so years playing tenor, I now play baritone exclusively. I think I changed because I'd said all I wanted to on tenor, and needed a new voice. I have three baris: Buescher TT, Conn 12M and a Martin Handcraft. The Martin is the horn I play usually. It has the sound I prefer, something like Lars Gullin or Bob Gordon. I use a Babbitt mouthpiece.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Soprano Saxophone.

While at the university (mid-70ies) I fell in love with the soprano sound, but couldn't afford that shiny Mark VI in the window of our local music store. I tried to find an affordable horn, but that turned out not to work (without Internet in those days). So I settled for clarinet (which I love too).

Finally, 6 years ago I satisfied the soprano itch, getting a "Kenny G G-Series IV", which is a pretty good Mark VI clone created by Rheuben Allen (as he said, "modeled after Kenny's Mark VI but with modern side keys").

However, at the moment the soprano is endangered by a hot love affair with a Stowasser Tárogató.... ;)

- Manfred

·
Registered
9 Posts

I play all 4 saxes they all have individual ways of producing the tone and intonation. As I do musical theatre gigs I also play flute and Clarinet,requires a lot of embouchure changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
primary tenor also my singing voice. King silversonic. my alto is mvi 66xxx and sop martin curvy 76xxx deep and dark.
I just bought a Silver Sonic (1962) tenor that I really like. I also play a Yamaha AS61 and a mid 20's Conn curved soprano. My bari is a King Zephyr with an extension for low A. Really sweet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tenor - Always thought tenor was the closest to the expression of the voice (although all can be and are great). Sang forever. Played trombone in grade school and junior high. Always wanted to try tenor sax and bought a used one in the late 80’s (made in ‘68 or ‘69) - the price was right.
life gets busy. 2 daughters played it in high school, the youngest with real talent and she moved up the horn food chain for her own tenor. Now this one is mine again.
Played in a little National Anthem ensemble for fun until COVID shut that down.
I have a soft spot for the era of American made horns and recently found a Martin Committee III alto, so added that to the stable (but my youngest daughter has been eyeing it).
So having fun learning the theory i coasted on over the years (if I could hear it once or twice, I could usually sing it - so thought theory and punishment were synonyms).
Having fun with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I primarily play a Conn 1958 12M bari/Brilhart LevelAire 4* combo which seems to be my natural voice; I often play a 1928 Buescher alto. I started on tenor, currently own a Pan American from 1930 which appears to be based on Conn New Wonder tooling. There is also a 1923 Bb soprano and a Conn 444N clarinet (an "Artie Shaw 1936" horn with the old Selmer HS* mouthpiece). I play primarily in local blues jams, have had a couple of gigs with local bands.

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
909 Posts
I wanted to play duets with my daughter, a bassoonist, when she was going into high school and then in college. I played trumpet in high school, so BTDT. I sing bass in choruses and choirs, so I was looking for experience with a different voice. We had a clarinet, so I started with it. I kept my eye out for an affordable oboe but never found one.

A deal on an alto sax came my way, so I started on that and started really listening to saxophonists. I feel the same way about alto sax as I do viola. It is a beautiful sound, but it always sounds melancholy to me, which, I guess, is why it is so apt at playing the blues. I still have the alto, but it sits in the closet.

During that time, I fell in love with the soprano sax, and then some specific soprano timbres and styles. I am a hack, so I don’t have to worry about getting gigs. All my practice time goes to the soprano.

My skill never measured up to my daughter’s standard, and she really didn’t care for sax with the bassoon. Whenever I mentioned playing a duet, she’d just roll her eyes. She just finished writing the score for an indy film and is making her way in the industry, but she no longer has a bassoon.

Now that duets are off the table, I still love soprano, and I play for fun, relaxation and edification. However, I might be interested in a tenor if the right deal on the right instrument at the right time, a perfect storm, came my way. I might play it more than my alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,621 Posts
Mostly baritone.
It’s strange though, I started on Baritone in my very early teens, then went to alto (only because that’s all I (or more so my parents)could afford).
Later on I got a tenor and virtually threw that alto away.(it was a piece of **** Chinese thing called “Dolfin”).
Then just stopped playing for a good 20 years.
Strangely enough I then went and bought another Alto (purely for economic reasons).
Had that for a year and sold it to get a tenor.
YTS 62 (a bargain purple logo).
Loved that one for some time but a YBS62 came up at a price I couldn’t let slide.
Snapped that baby up and life changed.
I still play a lot of tenor, but baritone is where it’s at now.
I have a number of fine baritones a a few really nice tenors.
I also have a couple of nice altos, but am far less attached to them.
Bari is my thing (regardless of how bad I sound).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I play Tenor (Phil Barone Vintage) and Soprano (Rampone Solid Copper Curved). Tenor is the main instrument but my little curvy soprano is getting more and more love these days. Also learning bass clarinet...I guess I have a thing for B flat instruments. At least I can play all of my music on any of the three instruments.
Love my Barone tenor!!!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I started decades ago on clarinet, then tenor sax in junior high school, and that became my main horn for ages. In addition to playing in jazz ensembles and pit orchestras, I played in early music ensembles in college, and eventually acquired recorders from bass up through sopranino and a baroque transverse flute, and then in the past five years finally got alto, soprano and bari saxes, and have played them all in various groups. I also have a WX7 and WX5, and Akai EWIs, and have played those for performances as well. And…I have some keyboards and synths, a guitar, some percussion instruments, a flute, pennywhistles, Native American flutes, an Indian flute, and a few other odds and ends!

Though tenor was my voice for years, I’m really enjoying the other three saxes now, and I couldn’t pick a favorite out of any of the wind instruments. I had a bass clarinet for a while but it was just an old Vito needing some serious work, so I’m on the lookout to add a better one to the stable, as I really enjoy playing that. And I hope to add an alto flute one of these days, too.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts