Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a The Martin Alto since 1964. I think it was built in '46. It hasn't been played for 20 or 25 years.

I also have a King Cleveland by HN White & Co. with SN # C-559XX. A friend of mine had a first class local shop get it playable a few years ago. He giged with it for about two years. It hasn't been played in about three or four years now. It had a great sound. It had a key break.

When I asked the shop about getting them playable, it sounded like it would cost as much as the horns would be worth once redone.

What to I do?

They are just collecting dust.

I don't play that much anymore, but my player is a Yani T-992. I like modern actions.

Jeff
Sacramento, CA

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,016 Posts
I have a The Martin Alto I think it was built in '46.
I also have a King Cleveland by HN White & Co. It had a key break.

When I asked the shop about getting them playable, it sounded like it would cost as much as the horns would be worth once redone.

What to I do?
The Martin would be worth having put into playing condition.
If the King was in good playable condition when it broke, it should also be worth getting fixed.

Pics and greater explanation of what labor is involved would be helpful to give you accurate guidance, right now I am basing my reply on a limited knowledge of these instruments in general and your specific description of your instruments.

I might recommend seeking out a 2nd tech for another opinion on your saxes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have had a The Martin Alto since 1964. I think it was built in '46. It hasn't been played for 20 or 25 years.

I also have a King Cleveland by HN White & Co. with SN # C-559XX. A friend of mine had a first class local shop get it playable a few years ago. He giged with it for about two years. It hasn't been played in about three or four years now. It had a great sound. It had a key break.

What to I do?

They are just collecting dust.

I don't play that much anymore, but my player is a Yani T-992. I like modern actions.

Jeff
Sacramento, CA
If you are looking for someone to get the benefit of playing these horns and you do not want the expense of fixing them, see if you have a local LINKS, Lonely Instruments for Needy Kids program in your town. This way you can Pay It Forward.

Ron M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts