Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this old 150xxx "The Martin" Tenor and it came with a Martin "The Indiana" case.

Obviously it's not the original case and well frankly it stinks like it's been sitting in a damp closest since 1945.
The horn is currently off getting a over haul and I stuffed it into a Protec before I shipped it.

What do you guys do with these old cases? I'm tempted to just throw in the trash for tomorrow's pickup.
The only thing holding me back is some guilt about the age of the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
stinky cases have been discussed in many threads, sometimes they can be salvaged , but some other times they are beyond redemption.

You can try several methods discussed in countless threads (airing, exposing it to sun rays, putting baking soda and charcoal in it, using a UV Ozone sanitizer) but sometimes nothing works.

IF it were a valuable case (but isn’t, I think) then it may be worth stripping it completely of its plush lining and then replacing the wooden partitions, the foam and then relining it again.

This is expensive and time consuming, even if you are doing this yourself. Ask yourself, is this case worth it?

I recently chucked a King Case which contained a very smelly horn and smelled itself. The day after someone had “ rescued” it from the rubbish and put it for sale without mentioning that it reeked.

I wouldn’t have tried to dell it because you shouldn’t sell stuff that you know is unfit for using.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I have no problem tossing the case. I've never seen the original case add significant value to the horn, and I'd rather put it in something that will protect the horn so it can continue to be played and enjoyed.

All of my horns are in newer cases, I've kept no original cases around. They don't protect the horn adequately and take up to much valuable space in my small home!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've wondered about keeping cases, also. I have a nice one for my Yamaha Z tenor that came with the horn but actually use a different case, and the original case takes up a lot of space to store it. But I think I should keep it since it's the original case with the horn. I also have the original old Haynes flute case for my flute (1940's) but use a newer case that's a lot better. It doesn't take up much space so of course I'll keep that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
I have no problem tossing the case. I've never seen the original case add significant value to the horn, and I'd rather put it in something that will protect the horn so it can continue to be played and enjoyed.

All of my horns are in newer cases, I've kept no original cases around. They don't protect the horn adequately and take up to much valuable space in my small home!
Spot on! There are some posters who argue that the original case add value and provenance, but with very few exceptions, I believe these claims to be overstated and have not seen much to support them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If it looks cool seal it shut and make it into a shelf.
Better yet, I could turn it on end, put a lamp on it, call it an end table and put it on ebay for $500.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
It's simple. Call it Vintage and Rare and sell it on eBay for five times its original cost.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
Well, it really depends, the one case is not the other.

If I owned a perfect full pearls silversonic to look at... it would be nice to have it in its own case. Exactly as it is nice to have a car with all the books that came with the car and the original repair kit rather than not having it.
But that’s stuff for collectors, hardly the case of an Indiana ... case!

In any case :) I had the original maroon case of my Super 20 and I sold it after years because I never ever did anything with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,987 Posts
I've wondered about keeping cases, also. I have a nice one for my Yamaha Z tenor that came with the horn but actually use a different case, and the original case takes up a lot of space to store it. But I think I should keep it since it's the original case with the horn. I also have the original old Haynes flute case for my flute (1940's) but use a newer case that's a lot better. It doesn't take up much space so of course I'll keep that one.
As both of your (original) cases are branded, not old and stinky, and presumably in good shape...they do have a market value so if you wanted to make a quick couple hundred, you probably could sell 'em on eFlay.

If you wanted to. It is not as if your instruments, should you ever decide to sell them, would be worth more with their original cases than with the modern replacements you got for 'em (assuming the replacements aren't cheapies).

So...just some info for you to ponder....

·
17,987 Posts
If it looks cool seal it shut and make it into a shelf.
Or leave it ajar, outside, for the neighbor's bratty kid to play hide and seek in.

THEN seal it shut.

Better yet, I could turn it on end, put a lamp on it, call it an end table and put it on ebay for $500.
If you gonna do that, go whole-hog ....and affix a saxophone lamp to the top of it, then list it at $900....

·
17,987 Posts
Spot on! There are some posters who argue that the original case add value and provenance, but with very few exceptions, I believe these claims to be overstated and have not seen much to support them.
You are correct.... unless the (vintage) case is in very, very good condition.....in which instance it would add market value.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You know, it became an urban legend that the original gangsters used violin cases to tote around small arms. But you really can't fit a tommy gun in a violin case. I do, however, think that gangsters would find sax cases of some utility, especially tenor and baritone cases.
A further advantage is that, while in the '20s a sax player would have been immediately suspect (a violinist not so much), nowadays sax players are considered to be about as square as accordionists. This could be an advantage to a gangster trying to stay under the radar. Just put on a stupid hat, some shades, and off you go the next drive-by.
If the case in question is really, really stinky, I should think that it could also throw off a dog's nose, when used for transporting other kinds of contraband.
Just a few thoughts...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I've saved original cases for vintage horns that may have stunk a bit, but only in case I wanted to resell the horn; and one I did and was glad to have the original case to go with it though I never used it for the horn in question. Otherwise, toss them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Find someone with a herd of cats and sell it as a community litter box.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I bought this old 150xxx "The Martin" Tenor and it came with a Martin "The Indiana" case.

Obviously it's not the original case and well frankly it stinks like it's been sitting in a damp closest since 1945.
The horn is currently off getting a over haul and I stuffed it into a Protec before I shipped it.

What do you guys do with these old cases? I'm tempted to just throw in the trash for tomorrow's pickup.
The only thing holding me back is some guilt about the age of the case.
Put it on craigslist or ebay. People do buy vintage cases.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are too funny... my spousal unit would appreciate a saxophone lamp about as much as a leg lamp from "Christmas Story".

Well, I woke up this morning and read the comments and decided to just toss it. A few minutes later I heard the trash truck and it was too late.... saved for another week.

A friend of mine expressed an unhealthy interest in obliterating it on his shooting range...

On a more peaceful note a fellow forum member messaged me and would like it for his horn. Really glad I posted it on here and didn't just toss it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts