Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bunch of old clarinet, bass and tenor sax reeds laying around, so i was wondering if their was anything i could do to revitalize them or make them play better?

any ideas for experiments?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Sounds like bon fire time....

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Carbs said:
Take some anger out with them, and wall test them.
In my experience, it's not very satisfying to wall-test reeds. Not much happens when you throw them against the wall: not like a brick or a good big handful of hot spaghetti. . . .:shock:

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Howzabout building a scale model of the Empire State Building or the Eiffel Tower. Amaze your family and friends. What are you waiting for, then? ;)

·
6,395 Posts
What about a hammer test?

·
6,395 Posts
Carbs said:
Sorry, you slam them against a wall, its very fun.
Hmm, must be in rental housing?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Old Reeds?

My previous teacher was a college prof.
She and all the single reed students in the music department saved all their worn out, split, and nicked reeds until G day.

Yes, that's right, they piled up all their reeds for a bonfire and threw in pictures or effigies of Kenny G!

Great fun for end of the year celebration!

What else can you do with old reeds?

;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh, i love the wall test, i was just looking for something abit more creative lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
saxophrenic said:
My previous teacher was a college prof.
She and all the single reed students in the music department saved all their worn out, split, and nicked reeds until G day.

Yes, that's right, they piled up all their reeds for a bonfire and threw in pictures or effigies of Kenny G!

Great fun for end of the year celebration!

What else can you do with old reeds?

;)
We do that in Marching band with an old unfixable horn each year. Lots of smashing, soaking in gasoline or other flamables etc. Its a fun way to end the season!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Martin Williams said:
We do that in Marching band with an old unfixable horn each year. Lots of smashing, soaking in gasoline or other flamables etc. Its a fun way to end the season!
How do you define a horn as "unfixable"?

When I was in marching band -- many eons ago -- we'd go down to the local nursing home, find a useless old lady, and burn her at the stake. That was terrific fun!:shock:

We'd use our old reeds for kindling. . . .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, if my band took all of our junk school horns and burned them with our reeds, we wouldnt have many horns left....

although it would be great fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
or just give all the unfixable horns or other horns that you are gonna smash up, bury, burn etc. to me?

;)

B

·
0 Posts
Run with the reed in your hand pointed ahead, arm stretched out, and keeping running till you reach a wall and let the anger out as the reed breaks violently (whilst thinking "damn expensive little piece of cane that doesn't last long enough)!! The best way!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Save them forever in a box. When that box fills up, start a new one. Never throw a reed away, ever. I've done this for about two years now and have filled up a couple of little boxes. By the time I die, I hope to have several rooms full of useless/dead reeds. I can see this being a problem with a future spouse.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts