Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a dukoff d4 miami florida quite cheap. I was searching for a 7/8 but this one was a bargain.
What should I do? Sell it or send it to a refacer to open it up?
What’s this mouthpiece with this small tip worth?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I'd play it first even if it requires a different reed from what I've been using. Never know until you try. But if it just was not meant to be, I'd probably gamble the price of a refacing since I didn't have much in it. Not being a refacer myself, I don't know if you can go from a 4 to an 8 on a Dukoff soprano. It would require quite a bit of baffle work.

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
899 Posts
I would have it checked by a reputable re-facer to make sure that it is in perfect condition and to have the tip measured. It may be nowhere near a 4. If the table is flat, the rails balanced and the chamber clean, I’d play it a while with a variety of reeds. Then, I could make a decision to keep it if I loved it or sell it if I wanted the money.

Some modifications can have a negative impact on value, so be prudent.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will play it first when I receive it and experiment with reeds but I think it will need some work for me to play the way i like it.
I don’t know if refacing to d8 will be possible but maybe some opening with harde reed will do the trick. Off course this will reduce value but I got this one quite cheap and just want to have a good dukoff so I won’t mind.
Does anyone know the value of these mouthpieces in this small tipsize? If this one is valuable like a d7/d8 thans the easiest route would be selling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,425 Posts
Why not just keep it? I have a box filled with soprano mouthpieces (and altos and clarinet) I've come by, tested, and set aside. I enjoy returning to them over the years, trying different reeds on different mouthpieces on different horns, etc.

Recently, after years of playing pieces in the .070 range, I've switched to smaller tip-openings and was thankful I'd kept all of those mouthpieces. There was little to be gained in selling them vs. the pleasure and re-enlightenment I've enjoyed by having them handy in my box.

Another thing I learned was that every mouthpiece is different, even those of the same brand, model, and designated tip-opening (well, with a few exceptions). Plus, every reed is different and before I set aside a mouthpiece, I make sure to try it with a variety of reeds (yes, of the same brand, cut, and designated strength).

We seem to be too quick to judge something like horns, mouthpieces, and reeds based on one experience with them. DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts