Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've found myself in a bit of a pickle... I've been playing bari since 7th grade with a great outcome, i've got a sweet tenor sound (which i played in wind ensemble last year). But i've never had a good alto or a great alto sound. Because of the end of the year tests, I'm now sitting 1st alto. I have an image (D':) and a YAS-23 (slightly less crappy). I do believe it's time for an upgrade... Oh, one more variable: no money. So, what to do, what to do...?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I use a Selmer S-80 D and a Super Session D. IF money is an issue, you may want to try a Hite, Bari Esprit, Brilhart Ebolin or a Rico Graftonite (rather bright).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
OP - are you asking about a horn upgrade, or a mouthpiece upgrade, or just the best way to get a sound upgrade with no money? If the latter, your best bet is probably to get the YAS-23 adjusted/regulated by a good tech and get a better mouthpiece. Getting a better new (or used) horn in good playing shape is likely going to cost some coin. What kind of sound do you want, and how does it differ from the sound you have?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts