Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I'm starting to play sax and I have three options to buy my first sax:
option 1 is a used Conn 20M for $ 400 (it shure needs some repairs or tuninng)
option 2 a used Bundy by Selmer $ 400 (it shure needs some repairs or tuninng)
option 3 is a new Selmer Prelude for $ 600 - 650
What do you all think about it? Is the Conn way better than the Prelude?
I read that the Prelude is made in China and it's recomendation was suspended from Stephen Howard because of it's dropp in the control standars.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note.

This was posted in the wrong forum, and piggybacked on another thread. Moved to the correct sub forum and it's own thread.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts
The preludes I tried were good, very good for the money and better than a 20M or Bundy (IMO). But that may have been before SH noticed a drop in control standards. If this purely means that the horn needs a little attention after buying, then I wouldn't worry too much. If it means the basic instrument is inferior to what they used to be like then I would think again.

Those first two you mentioned should be avoided at that price if they need a lot of work, which would mean you end up paying more than they are worth.

·
28,910 Posts
One more option, you can pick up a decent horn off someone here
That's true, choose someone with good rep for good budget vintage horns,

Jayesf springs to mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
some people should invest in proper behavior, respect and correct conduct on the forums...

About some other options I live in Costa Rica so It's very hard to get something from the USA, the shipping can make it more expensive.
What should I do to look for something here? Start a forum asking for a deal??

But my doubt is: Is a Conn 20M or a Bundy (even if I have to do some repairs) better in over all quality than a Prelude?

Thanks a lot for your time...

·
28,910 Posts
But my doubt is: Is a Conn 20M or a Bundy (even if I have to do some repairs) better in over all quality than a Prelude?
I thought I answered that. (From my perspective, which of course may be different from others')

Very hard to know, if Stephen Howard is right about the current Preludes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pete, and yes I saw you answered that earlier. I was in doubt because the price is very different, a Bundy or a Conn 20M in excellent conditions are a lot more expensive than a new Prelude, so maybe there was a difference in the construction or materials, but now I think I got it, there should not be much of a difference in between the three of them, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts