Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new alto sax. I am currently using a student yamaha and I am done with it. I need a better one. I have been play for 7 years and i am going for more of an intermediate jazzy sax. Price isnt that big of an issue just not anything over 3K. Any suggestions...

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are tones of Saxophones that you can get if that's ur price limit. it really depends what you want to buy. If you want vintage, there are some good tips as to what to look for. This not a comprehensive information website. However, it will give you a sense. I am looking for a descent horn myself right now and I am trying to find a good Conn 6M, or Buescher Aristocrat.
There are other brands too, Liker Selmer, King, the vintage French Vito. You can probably find a descent selmer for around 3K as well. Check out the Horn for sale section of this forum and yo will find tones of stuff. If ur intermediate, I would say don't spend beyond 1500-1700 unless you are sure you want to play sax for a very long time......
All the best my friend
http://www.saxgourmet.com/VINTAGE_SAXOPHONE_VALUE_GUIDE.htm

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Since you are used to yamaha horns, I woulc try out a Yamaha 82Z or 875 custom first. Yanagisawa makes a great horn and Selmer too. The Cannonball Vintage is also a great choice. You can get almost any modern saxophone for 3k. Vintage horns probably sound better, but they are risky if you don't know how to buy and what to look for. Check the for sale area of the forum. I would trust the members of the forum selling here rather than an ebay auction. Depending on where you live, you can try out saxophones at a local shop. Try and play any horn you can get your hands on. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
If you can pay up to or over $1g ~ there's no reason to get an 'intermediate Jazzy sax'. Intermediate is nothing but a marketing word...i.e. "it's better than crappy".

William's suggestion is a fair one...although just to stir the pot...I will say this: if you already have a Yammy...why not really go for something different ? Yes, the upper-line Yamahas are good....but there are many, many, many fish in the sea and there are plenty of Altos for $1g+ which sound and serve much better.....

And if what you wanna concentrate on is Jazz....then why not go for a Jazz horn ? One with a big, dark bottom and much lusher sound than a contemporary Japanese model ? Just sayin', there are too many choices.

You could go classic vintage with a completely overhauled 6M, Committee, S20, Top Hat, Selmer BA, SML...the list is endless. Or go modern with a JK or B&S or Borgani, all of which you can bring in under $3g.

Do you have a place where you can try a bunch of horns, regardless of their pricetags ? If so, go there and do that. Try to get an idea of what sound you are after. If you have been playin' 7 years, you probably will have a pretty good idea about the tone which moves you....

You see, I don't think vintage horns are risky at all, really. You are a player of some experience, and if you can narrow down the elements you want in tone and feel....they are a fantastic buy (particularly when you have upward of $1000 to spend on one, in which case any tech servicing issues are no longer an issue).

BTW..the SaxGourmet Value Guide is bust these days; it causes more problems than it rectifies...it may have been applicable back in around 2007...but it is not indicative of market values any longer (i.e. they are lower now than then).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
You have a little graphic on your post that says 'Impatient'.
If ever you needed patience - now's the time!
You've got a decent budget - a good few years of playing a decent horn under your belt...and the world is your oyster.
Take your time - spend it wisely, trying out as many different horns as you can get your hands on.
Don't worry about brands - at this price-point there won't be much you can't afford, so just play them and see which one does it for you.

If it gets a bit confusing, try something like a Yamaha Z or a Yani and let us know what you thought. If you come back and say 'Hey, way too bright' or 'Too free-blowing' then we all might have a better idea of which direction to point you in.

Enjoy the search!

Regards,

·
Registered
480 Posts
You have a little graphic on your post that says 'Impatient'.
If ever you needed patience - now's the time!
You've got a decent budget - a good few years of playing a decent horn under your belt...and the world is your oyster.
Take your time - spend it wisely, trying out as many different horns as you can get your hands on.
Don't worry about brands - at this price-point there won't be much you can't afford, so just play them and see which one does it for you.

If it gets a bit confusing, try something like a Yamaha Z or a Yani and let us know what you thought. If you come back and say 'Hey, way too bright' or 'Too free-blowing' then we all might have a better idea of which direction to point you in.

Enjoy the search!

Regards,

+1

I can't think of any better advice than this. Specifically: Don't rush, and try a few out then report back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
You have a little graphic on your post that says 'Impatient'. If ever you needed patience - now's the time!
This site will do it to the best of them. I wonder how many folks that spent any amount of time here still play on the equipment they played when they first got here. I bet it's few and far between.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
This site will do it to the best of them. I wonder how many folks that spent any amount of time here still play on the equipment they played when they first got here. I bet it's few and far between.
I do!

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
My two cents echo's what has already been said...but for the sake of reinforcing it:

If at all possible, go into a store (or several!) and try as many saxes as you can possibly handle playing in a day. Don't limit yourself to modern or vintage, don't limit yourself to brands/models, and by no means limit yourself to a certain finish or overall appearance (silver, lacquer, black nickel, shiny, ugly, etc.). Every sax has its own voice and little nuances, so it's worthwhile to play on everything...even if you aren't immediately attracted to a particular brand or model.

Even if you have to make a day or two trip to get to a shop that has a good selection, it's well worth it.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Did it to me and I as far as my choice is concerned I could not be happier!:bluewink:

B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts