Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a go on a 7* today, but it was the only one in the shop so I couldn't compare it to any others. There aren't any more sax shops for miles from where I am. Just wondered if it's the kind of mouthpiece where everyone's using a 9 or something, in which case I might try travelling a bit further a field to see what all the fuss is about? I use a 8 Meyer on alto and one of a couple of different 8* pieces on tenor. Just want to see what everyone else is playing before I part with the money -the shop owner won't get any other tip openings in for me to try, but it is going to be cheaper than going elsewhere as he's selling his old stock at the old prices and those things are only getting more expensive unfortunately:(

·
Registered
251 Posts
8* B for me.
EDIT: This is metal by the way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,008 Posts
7 is what I'm playing and the 7 to 7star is a very popular tip opening range for baritone Lawtons. I used to play on an 8starB that my teacher let me borrow, but that was really too open for me. But I am playing 8starB on tenor.

I also have a 6, a 5starB, and 7starB in ebonite. They all play very well, I just have to go up or down a bit in reed strength.

If it is quite old stock (made before October 2003) it would have been made by Geoff Lawton, the original designer and maker. Since then they have been made in small numbers by his son Jason.

Hope you enjoy it.

Rhys

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Mike, if it's really old pieces and old prices... just buy it and sell it back to me ;) I've got a 7 on alto and another 7 on tenor so a 7* on bari could do it fine...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I play 7*B Lawton on Bari. Metal. Works well. IMHO, a good mouthpiece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts