Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to get an Otto Link Tone Edge mouthpiece as my first jazz mouthpiece and I was wondering what tip opening I should get. The current mouthpiece I've been playing on is the one that came with my Jupiter. It has no brand on it so I can't tell what the tip opening is on it. I've been playing for 8 months and I use reeds of 2.5, 3, or 3.5 thickness, but I prefer 2.5s. I practice a lot, so I figure I'll be able to adapt to whatever size I get, but what do you guys think I'll be best suited for? I'm also welcome to any suggestions on a better jazz mouthpiece to get (preferably less than$100).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
You need to try a few and see what suits you. I would try a 6* or 7 and see how that feels. On tenor I prefer the metal Links to ebonite. There are plenty other options but most cost a bit more. A Meyer or Bari ebonite are worth a try. It depends on what sound you are after, but Links tend to give that generic jazz sax sound.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,588 Posts
Try to find a local shop that has some in stock. Go and play every one they have (even duplicates of the same size). Bring prepared/ ready to play reeds in your regular size, one size up and one size down. That should get you close to what is going to be most comfortable for you at this point in your playing.

There are a ton of good mouthpieces out there in the same price range as a Tone Edge. Play everything they have (until they get tired of you anyway). Pick the one you really like the sound of.

If you post what model your Jupiter is, there is sure to be someone on here who plays/ played the same horn who might be helpful in a good match. Not that it will be the one for you, but it might give you a good lead.

Don't get obsessed with tip opening either. Pick what sounds good to you, AND you feel pretty comfortable on. Yes you can adapt, but it can be a lot of stress on your throat musculature and vocal chords to make too big of a jump. I recall Jeff Coffin talking about having some sort of surgery (and being off the horn for a while) related to playing too big of a tip opening at a clinic I went to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Based on what I've read, go with a 6* or a 7. The Tone Edge is a very good mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
8 months? I'd work with the Jupiter for a while first. You don't need and won't see much benefit yet in going to a different mouthpiece.

Get comfortable with the full keyed range of the instrument and don't waste time and effort doing things which will not help you out now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
But he shouldn't learn it on a stock mouthpiece, regardless of time spent playing. Getting the Tone Edge will benefit him and once he adapts slowly after a few practice sessions then improvements will become larger due to his investment made in himself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,947 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,588 Posts
But he shouldn't learn it on a stock mouthpiece, regardless of time spent playing.
I played my stock Cannonball piece for almost five years! I didn't start as a child either (27). I still play it every once in a while...It sounds good!

·
32,947 Posts
Buy something large enough that lots of people will want when you find it doesn't work for you.

8 or 8*, please. :twisted:

·
3,202 Posts
Like two other people have said - if you have been playing for 8 months stick with what you have. Even if you are talented you've got a long ways to go. If you must - go to the music store and try some 6*'s to see what it feels like. Don't expect it's going to make you sound like a jazz player though. Try it out for fun but don't be afraid to stick with your Jupiter mouthpiece for awhile, there's no rush. Try to get a good private teacher if you don't have one, that would be a better use of the money.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Its a good mouthpiece, and learning on this piece will help him achieve concepts of tone, and musicality.

I typed quite a bit more but accidentally deleted it :). It's all about what you hear and want in your head, and your horn,reed,mouthpiece,etc. are stepping stones to learning your "sound".

·
Registered
299 Posts
Like two other people have said - if you have been playing for 8 months stick with what you have. Even if you are talented you've got a long ways to go. If you must - go to the music store and try some 6*'s to see what it feels like. Don't expect it's going to make you sound like a jazz player though. Try it out for fun but don't be afraid to stick with your Jupiter mouthpiece for awhile, there's no rush. Try to get a good private teacher if you don't have one, that would be a better use of the money.
I agree, It won't make you sound like a Jazz player instantly. A different mouthpiece instead of a stock will broaden his sound though and push him to learn, of course private lessons will help and I wish I had the money when I first learned to do this.

There are so many aspects, the way to really learn this is to be dedicated and work hard.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
Like two other people have said - if you have been playing for 8 months stick with what you have.
True. I always say if you have to ask people on the internet what mouthpiece to get, you aren't yet ready.

(Well, I don't always say that, but sometimes I do)

·
13,033 Posts
A Link is not a mouthpiece I would recommend as a step up for an early beginner. They are infamous for having problematic facing issues - search link chops. If you must upgrade, get a simple student piece and avoid metal. Metal is more expensive and a shot to the chops by a metal mouthpiece - I know, students are ALWAYS aware of their instrument... - hurts! If you need a different - more extreme - mouthpiece pick something by Runyon. Their stuff is inexpensive and comes in a wide array of styles and is mostly playable. If you want something to honk loudly with get a Bionix. They play pretty well and are loud - Jazzy - for a beginner. Wait until you have an idea before wasting time with different mouthpieces.

You will never get the time back that you spend (waste!) figuring out a new mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
it's gotta be at least .177 on a tenor for you to develop good control

heheheheh

Ovsiously kidding.

Get yourself a nice 2.5 reed and pick the tip opening you can play with that reed. don't go with the one that sounds easily from minute zero. You should feel like you're easying up into playing and then stay there. Don't know if I'm giving good advice for a newbie player...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Many different opinions but hopefully this gives you an idea(s) on what to do.

·
32,947 Posts
A Link is not a mouthpiece I would recommend as a step up for an early beginner. They are infamous for having problematic facing issues - search link chops.
That's not what "Link chops" is about.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts