Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is an oddity to say the least. A post War JKG/Amati alto(?) but made in an old-fashioned (almost Adolphian) manner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
A Czech-made low B alto? That is a strange one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
I saw that one as well. (I seem to have been doing the same Ebay searches a stitch for several years now.) I've seen pictures of very early Keilwerths with keywork like that, so I can only assume that when the Graslitz Keilwerth plant was nationalized as Amati, they produced a few horns with the very oldest tooling, as well as reusing the Toneking II tooling for the Amati Tonekings we're more familiar with.

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... so I can only assume that when the Graslitz Keilwerth plant was nationalized as Amati, they produced a few horns with the very oldest tooling ...
That seems a fair assumption, but to what end I wonder?

·
3,287 Posts
I have one like this.

My one is an Amati King with JK Best In The World stamped on it and has no low Bb and no Bis Bb and no Front F and the key presses/levers have no rollers.

My one has very good intonation and is pretty easy to play and it sounds pretty good as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
That seems a fair assumption, but to what end I wonder?
There you have me stumped, I'm afraid. I suppose saxpiece is in the best position to speculate, having actually played one.

So, saxpiece, what does it seem to be good for?!

·
3,287 Posts
I thought I'd buy it seeing that it was from the Keilwerth/Amati Tone King years.

I don't really miss the low Bb that much when I play it and as I said above, it actually has really good intonation and sounds pretty good.

It's not my main horn but it's pretty good and I like playing it every now and then.

It certainly looks different.

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is it a low pitch horn saxpiece? I don't know why, but I've always assumed that all the Adolphe-style were high pitch. Probably a totally unjustified assumption ...

·
3,287 Posts
Seems pretty normal to me.

It's interesting to see how this King model evolved and this model has to be pretty rare, I can't find any info on them at all.

Seems like it started off as a Keilwerth branded Horn and then switched to being an Amati branded Horn and both had the JK Best In The World logo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts