Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 69 Posts

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, just the other day I recorded something and went to play it back; and realized it was sharp! The thing that was played back came back over 30 cents sharp! This happened both in Audition and on basic Sound Recorder. I restarted and all that happy jazz, ran some defrag and anti-virus stuff on my fairly new Dell laptop to make sure nothing was clogging it up. But to no avail, I can't get it to go away.

I've provided a recording so you can hear what I'm talking about. I think, when I played along on my keyboard, the track is about 40 cents sharp! It's a little rendition of "Bolero" via classical alto sax. I think it sounds pretty good, too bad it's friggin sharp, lol.

If anyone out there might have an idea as to what is causing this...let me know, please! Thanks!

http://download.yousendit.com/0D5CC8E16AE04A82

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prince,

The first note is a concert Bb. I know I'm not playing sharp; I'm in tune (not 40 cents sharp) when I'm playing the recording. I know it's not on my end; it has been before but not now. Umm...as far as I know I have no pitch shifts plugged in, I rarely use pitch shifting/modulation options in Audition...but where do I go to check that? I recorded and played back both in Audition and on Sound Recorder. Both had the same results. So it's not like I have something turned on or off in Audition or vice versa.

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vermontsax said:
For everyone here racking their brains, why don't you give us a run-down of everything you're using to make the recording. Please answer these questions and add additional information if I miss anything:
Ok, here I go:

What kind of microphone are you using?
Shure SM58 for the sax, but I run it through a preamp to the computer.

What components are you going through to get to (I assume) your computer (i.e. a mixer, an effects unit, effects pedals, a compressor, a DI box, a firewire converter, etc. Please be specific with brand names and models).
Again, I use a Behringer Mic100 preamp...that's it.

What kind of sound card are you using?
The basic one that came with the Dell...I think it's a "Legacy" something or other?

What model processor do you have in the Dell computer?
I have the new Intel Duo Core Processor

What software are you using (rev. level if applicable as well)?
I started off with Adobe Audition (1.5) but then tried the recording in basic Sound Recorder as well.

Some things to look at:
First, do you see this on every recording? I would try recording something from your keyboard. Your keyboard will likely use a 1/4" cord instead of (what I'm assuming is) an XLR cable. If it works then try recording your sax using a simple "imp" to convert the XLR to 1/4" and check your results. The other plus here is that your keyboard is going to be in-tune with itself so you can easily test it (I used to tune tape deck speeds this way).

I actually did that, and the same thing happens!

Beyond that, peel the onion - remove external components to see if the problem goes away. Try the simple WAV recorder on your PC to see if it has the same issues. If not then it's something in your recording software. If it still has the same problem, maybe you have problems with your sound card or interface.

Again, I tried two different recording softwares with the same issue. The one recording software obviously has no plug-in's to enable pitch shifting (Sound Recorder).

I am not an expert here but I do know that it will help everyone who knows a lot more than I do if you can give as much detail about your setup as possible. Good luck.
Thanks, this is driving me absolutely insane!

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You guys are making my head spin with all this digital sample rate BS. It's very simple...no sample rates were changed when this anomaly happened. I just pressed record in Audition...and this happened. I shut down Audition and tried basic Sound Recorder...same thing happened. I restarted...did a defrag and anti-virus to ensure there were no clogging issues. Same thing happened.

Now the only thing someone mentioned before that might cure the problem, is that I was running off battery power when this happened. Maybe switching over to AC will help? Also, I think (THINK) another variable that could come into play (though I've never had this problem) was that I had a ceiling fan running at the time of the recording. But I used to record on my old Gateway desktop with no problem of pitch change just because of a stupid ceiling fan.

Does anyone have a REAL solution for me, other than hypothetical holy apparition changing of sample rates that I have no idea how to change back? I might want to try recording rite now with AC and see if that fixes it. If not...re-installing the drivers for my soundcard? What else is there?

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
vermontsax said:
Something I had not thought of until now. This is not to suggest that you should not seek the answers to Al Stevens and princeganon's questions - that can only help you.

My questions are these: how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Have you ever had in-tune recordings on this laptop?

If the laptop is under warranty then our work here may be done (though I don't envy you for the number of hours you may spend on the phone with someone much less helpful than the people on this forum).

I would make the argument that if you did not mess with your bios to begin with and you have default settings in the Windows Media Player/Recorder then it's a problem with either the hardware you have or the way the computer was initially set up. Whether Dell will buy that or not, I'm not sure but you should at the least write down the checks you have made on your system to this point so you can rattle them off to their "support" team.

Just a thought. Good luck!
The laptop was purchased in November/December of 2006 for me as a Christmas present (therefore I received it in late December of '06). It's virtually new as I had stated. All recordings done on this laptop since the day I bought it were in-tune, 100%. There was only one recording where I myself recorded sharp. I knew what I did wrong, and fixed it. Now, a month or so later, after use otherwise, I try to record and this freak accident happens.

Guys, I'm not afraid to admit anything I might have done wrong, I just don't know what, if what (JC Bigler apparently wants me to admit that I'm some [email protected]$$ of some sort) I did wrong. I'm not understanding exactly how to check all the sample rate stuff...in Audition it's the usual 44.1K/32 bit. In Sound Recorder, I have no friggin' clue how to check the rates there. Either way...something got messed up, either in the software/drivers (sample rates), or hardware (worst case scenario!). So I'm at my wit's end...

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oh, and umm...for the comments about me being a n00b, I dunno if they were said out of fun or malice, but I've been playing my axe for almost a decade, going into college for music ed, and have been a recording artist for almost two years. I'm no n00b to studio stuff...I just don't have acts of the devil happening to my computer on a regular basis, nor do I know how to fix them. I hadn't responded in a while due to my busy schedule as a high school senior (spring concert, preparing for finals) so...lay off, mmk?

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok...sorry about not answering that critical question. No, the tempo was not changed at all. I know how to change sample rates, just not by digging "deep" into DAW (maybe that's just some fancy word that I don't know). I had to change sample rates, as I might have stated before, when I recorded on an older desktop. It couldn't handle the high sample rate of 44.1K, so I had to lower it to 16K, then convert when the mixdown was made later. Again, I'm no n00b to audio workstations. Just not a techie.

My tuning on saxophone was checked with a tuner prior to the recording made. I actually played along with the recording, and found the horrendous sharp-ness without a tuner. Same thing with a keyboard...but I am going in a bit to record the keyboard with AC power to see if this solves any problems.

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nah, I did the sample rate conversions on an old Gateway desktop (as I stated before). I've never had to do sample rate conversions on this beauty!

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hmm...ok...so I was wrong. I just put a metronome against my piano recording when I recorded. I went back and tried to match the same tempo against it, and it kinda is like when you have two windshield wipers and one is going faster than the other...the two start off in rhythm, then separate, then they come back together, and drift apart. So...the recording is being sped up!

And just for sakes of entertainment, I also disconnected the preamp from the computer and tried just doing a line-in with the keyboard...same thing happened, so it's not the preamp...in case that crossed anyone's mind by chance.

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, for what I just did, I used Sound Recorder. I'll go back now and try using Audition to see if that eliminates the problem. But it happened in Audition to start with, so maybe an act of God can fix everything now?

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
JC,

In Audition, when I record, it looks like the cursor that indicates the time is further ahead then where the recording is actually taking place. I'm sure this means something?

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Wow guys...I'm gonna feel really friggin' retarded when I tell you all this.

The sample rate was different.

I hadn't changed it, so I thought it was the same. However, just upon checking my sample rate at AA, it was at 22050...not 44100. Well, voila, when I fixed it and recorded, it was fine!

So, I fixed my own problem, through my own stupidity. Sorry for all the gray hairs that came out of my neglegnece to check the sample rate. I wouldn't have even thought to do that, though, because I hadn't changed it. Anyone know why it might have changed on me?

Wow...wonderful end to a long day :( :drunken: :banghead: :dontknow: .

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
At this point, all I'm curious about is how it got to that new sample rate; I sure as hell didn't change it! LOL...well, actually JC, I noted that it was much sharper than 40 cents...almost approaching 60 cents. My keyboard can tune up to 100 cents so I set it about where it was playing back really sharp, and it was closer to 60 than 40.

But anywhoo...thanks for all the help, I guess!

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Haha, Al, I meant the BS that was going on with arguing about the sample rates...not necessarily about what was being brought up truthfully.

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Al Stevens said:
Toobz is not right. And neither are you at least as far as this argument goes.

Change the sample rate as a value in the wav header, and you change the speed and pitch of playback. Period. Argue all you want, but this is a fact. If you record samples at one sample rate and then play back the same samples at a different sample rate, speed and pitch are indeed affected.
This is 110% correct because this is exactly what was happening to me. The pitch changed (obviously) then last night when I put a metronome in my recording, and then checked it against a realtime metronome (same one), the recording was being sped up at the 22.050 sample rate as opposed to the realtime rate (which should be 44.1).

· Future Music Educator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
affuman2 said:
I've had the exact same problem as the original poster, and probably said the exact same four-letter word he did as I tried to figure it out.
That word and several others as well, actually, lol.

1 - 16 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.