Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This neck is off of a silver conn new wonder II alto sax (serial # 209xxx) but the microtuner neck looks different. I can't tell if its original, but it fits really nice on the sax. Anybody seen a neck like this before?

·
Registered
233 Posts
whoa, scary... if you pull it off you could probably see if it is factory machined inside, or if modified you'd see solder or marks on the inside of the neck tube and inside the tuner screw end, that's where I'd look. The brass collar attached to the neck tube is a clue making me think it was modified for sound quality, or repaired from damage to the original microtuner. as long as it seals well I'd probably push it in and leave it there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
I agree with Bruce, I've seen a Holton with a neck like that before. It's probably not the original neck. I see there's no pad on the key. Does this instrument currently play?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Looks to me like an underslung, anti surge ball valve adaptor as fitted (as an option) to the Thomas Crapper "Dreadnaught" flushing toilet system, manufactured between 1884 & 1901.
Still available, I believe, at Harrods of Knightsbridge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for the help identifying this neck. I just finished sanding down the cork and putting in the small pad. I'm a little disappointed it isn't the original neck but it sounds great on this saxophone. I'm going to to need to figure out how to unseize the microtuner without stripping it since its tuned a little too flat for the cork length. Wish me luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
Interesting....the PanAm neck will be a good fit (most all Conn alto necks prior to the '80's will fit each other's horns...Pan Ams, Chus, 14M's, 50m's, 7M's all fit each other and are of the same length give or take a mm).

But the Chu neck had more of a taper (i.e. the diameter/bore of the tube at the mouthpiece end was smaller than the Pan Am or Director horns or 7M horns) so...I would imagine this will do something to the tone (not saying something negative, mind you...). Just wanted to mention that, in case it was described/assumed to be an original.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
The "bit" that has the cork tends to get lost. I see Holton Rudy models where it is missing and I see Holton mouthpieces being sold with the bit inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts