Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm responding to a craigslist ad in my area, and this horn totally puzzles me... The guy says it's at least 15 years old, as it was his brother's in grade school. It has no markings, engravings, serial number, nothing. The only things I can recognize are the buts that connect the keyguards to the body, they look to me like the one's from an old vito bari my school has ( gotta love having a photographic memory). Anyone have any idea at all what this is? View attachment 25639 View attachment 25640 View attachment 25641

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Why not ask the guy to email you some more photos? It sorta looks like an Armstrong.....at least the color is suggesting that to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Hard to tell from those photos but I would go to saxpics and look around. I would try comparing the body rings and the spats that mount the low C cage. I agreee that it could be an Armstrong horn due to the age. There were not many if any horns from China then so if it is not a US horn, probably a stencil type from France, Germany or Italy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
it could really be anything........this reminds me of a joke. A guy attending an entomology exam at university is asked by the professor to Identify the various insects only by looking at fragments of the legs , the student, baffled, is speechless, annoyed, gets his books and walks away and the Professor said: " How dare you walking out on me! What's your name?" and the students puts down the books rolls the leg of his trousers up and say " Sure, take a good look.......and ID me! "

·
21,030 Posts
I think all saxophones have bell mounted bell keys. Being they are on the right side, I say it is after 1960 or so.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry Bruce, don't know the tech term for when the key is mounted to the body rather than on a long actuating rod like modern horns use. The actuating rod from the L H stack then presses on a roller or similar mounted on a lever off the key cup.
Similar to the way all modern horns do with the low C# key.
In the first photo we can see that the low B and Bb also use this system...some tech's especially like this, as the horn can sustain some damage and the bell keys may still seat!
I have a Buffet from 1947 like this and a 1958 Kohlert and also a 1968 Max Keilwerth Hohner.
Don't know when the American makers dropped this system but the German factories around Markneukirchen favoured this, maybe right up until the first B&S branded horns came out.
Without any pics of any keywork it is pretty impossible to identify of course...could be one of the German horns, a homebrand Weltklang??? although the guard mounts are a bit girley?

·
21,030 Posts
Now I understand what you mean. Also the key cages do not have the adjustable bumpers indicating it may be a lower priced horn.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Now I understand what you mean. Also the key cages do not have the adjustable bumpers indicating it may be a lower priced horn.
I believe I am seeing Mother of Pearl accents on the key guards (possibly Mother of Toilet Seat)...maybe they are removable?? Perhaps the bumpers are located beneath?

- John

·
21,030 Posts
There will be bumpers for sure but not with the screw adjustments. When they are mounted directly to the cage, they need to be cut to fit unless you get lucky and they are just right.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There will be bumpers for sure but not with the screw adjustments. When they are mounted directly to the cage, they need to be cut to fit unless you get lucky and they are just right.
Thanks Bruce!! I was just thinking that if I were going to try to put MOP accents on the keyguards, I would try to find a way to make them sit on top of (in a sense covering) screw-adjustable bumpers. Could this be done??

- John

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes but you will need to be sure the bumpers are adjusted first.
I forgot a couple of the details in my mind's eye but I suppose it's entirely irrelevant because it's thread-jacking and you've been a great help!

- J

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
still waiting for some more pictures to try to identify this otherwise uneventful horn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts