Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the whole saxophone community. I played in High School but it was HIGH school in the 70s and didn't view music as a path to happiness as I didn't really know what was.. Now taking it up again in my old age. I just bought this sax for cheap and it's kind of weird. Outside of the sax the neck sounds like any other Alto. When I put it in and just play it open it is fine at E but once once I hit any key with the slightest of effort this thing just plays an octave higher. I swapped necks and same results. It takes more effort to stay down low. When you look down the bore you can see that it narrows considerably. I can't get an Alto swabber thing down it.

At first I thought I was losing my mind and thought maybe one of the pads are bad but they all seal well at least what I can tell. Not sure what is going on here maybe it's something simple.
Am I losing my mind? What is that thing in my Sax?

Attachments

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,362 Posts
Another mouthpiece stuck in a sax?

Here's hoping it's something with some value . . .

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes... well it looks like a fishing expedition is in store. Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on the best way to get it out?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,632 Posts
So I am new to the whole saxophone community. I played in High School but it was HIGH school in the 70s and didn't view music as a path to happiness as I didn't really know what was.. Now taking it up again in my old age. I just bought this sax for cheap and it's kind of weird. Outside of the sax the neck sounds like any other Alto. When I put it in and just play it open it is fine at E but once once I hit any key with the slightest of effort this thing just plays an octave higher. I swapped necks and same results. It takes more effort to stay down low. When you look down the bore you can see that it narrows considerably. I can't get an Alto swabber thing down it.

At first I thought I was losing my mind and thought maybe one of the pads are bad but they all seal well at least what I can tell. Not sure what is going on here maybe it's something simple.
Am I losing my mind? What is that thing in my Sax?
@Grey Stone you posted the same thing about this thing happening

You shouldn't post twice about the exact same thing

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Grey Stone you posted the same thing about this thing happening

You shouldn't post twice about the exact same thing
They are two separate topics. I have two issues that were not related to each other

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
Oh great I followed the suggestions and used my silver cleaning brush with a wood handle. A very light tap and out it came. Unfortunately it wasn't a vintage mouthpiece.. see attached..
Time to ask the seller about the mouthpiece & case. Probably has those just forgot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So many fun mysteries and discoveries recently. It feels like these "what is in my sax" threads are become a recurring series lol

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
816 Posts
Now, can you play normally ? May you post a sound clip ? Good luck with your Sax playing. Now, to practice, practice, practice...

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So does it play ok, now?
As always thank you all for the help. Yes it plays much more normal now for the most part but when I close the bottom key for a D it jumps up an octave and stays there until I release or adjust. So far with the leak light it is showing the pad in the photo as one issue and as I was looking at it I noticed the screw was halfway out of the rod so I am glad it was leaking.

I am not sure if I can adjust this or just replace the pad or both. This is the area around the Octave key rod that is bent so it might have suffered misalignment from some knucklehead banging trying to get the mouthpiece cover out.

I just went back over this sax again with the light and now see that it was dropped or smashed in as there is another pad that doesn't seal because the sax is dented in on the bottom right under the serial number stamp.

I didn't even catch this until today as was focused on what was in the sax. When I saw the sax for the first time I was focused on the bent octave key rod and had a scary dude with bulging eyes bouncing around me. I didn't notice the dent. I paid a $120 for the sax so if this can't be fixed no big deal.

The thought has occurred that maybe I should just take up the trumpet as I played that in middle school and a lot less moving parts to have to figure out... but I do love a challenge and I know this is going to be a long road to get good at fixing these.

Lesson learned.. Never have someone come to you as the obligation to buy goes up especially if they are jacked up and look at every single area of the sax thoroughly even if there is another area that has your attention.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
As I like to put it, just because a deal for a vintage horn presents itself, it doesn't mean we have to bite. True Tone altos are a dime a dozen, mostly because there were so many of them and they were built to last. For folks that want them, finding later models with the front F and roller G# in their original silver plate can still be found on the cheap. So there isn't much demand for earlier ones such as this.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I know what they go for but I have a tenor same year and I love that sax. I bought that many years ago from a garage sale in my old hometown. I thought it would nice to have the same year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts