Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there are several tastes that people have about what syllable to emulate when you attack a note. Some say tee, too, dee, doo, doh (like row), etc. Is there a universally "accepted" syllable for saxophone, or is it a preference of the player? I'm used to the "doh" syllable, but is there another I should use?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
This is a great subject, because just as you create inflection in the way you articulate words and syllables, you can create inflection in the way you articulate notes. Probably the most common syllables used to articulate notes include "ta" and "da." The "ta" articulation is commonly used to produce a classical attack, and "da" works well for a jazz legato. "Dot" is also often used to describe a jazz marcato articulation.

For beginning students, I always teach the "ta" attack to be certain they are striking the reed with the tongue and forming the embouchure correctly. As the student advances into jazz playing, I'll introduce the "da" and "dot" articulations.

There are many other ways of articulating that may come into play at the advanced level of playing in order to add personality to an individual's style. A couple of players that come to mind are Stanley Turrentine and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. If you listen to these guys, you'll hear several different types of articulation.

I'd suggest working to master the "ta" articulation, however, before experimenting too much with different styles of articulation. As with any fundamental component of playing, it's important to have a good instructor to make sure you're approaching the basics correctly.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
There are several basic styles of music that require different styles of articulation.

Legitimate or Classical
- Regular........Tah, Dah
- Staccato......Tu, Du
- Legato.........Doo, Loo,
- Very Legato..Roo (tongue doesn't touch)
- Marcato.......TAH, DAH

Jazz
- Jazz Legato...........Doo, Dah
- Jazz Accent...........Dot, DAHT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts