Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My memory is sketchy, but I think I've seen references to different iterations/makers (ie Zinner) of this mouthpiece. Does anyone have a general history of this mouthpiece, and can you help me id mine? (Meaning is it one of the "good" ones, if there is such a thing).

Box: Orange and White, Strathon Ajustotone, Strathon Mundstadt, Made in West Germany, also has the letters "AS" in a crown within a circle.
The other end of the box has patent numbers for USA, GB, France and W Germany.

Mouthpiece: 7*, Made in West Germany, IN -U.AUSL-Patente

I purchased new in the late 80's (and it only has about 10 hrs playtime)

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I'm betting it's hard rubber. :)

You've pretty much ID'd everything right there!

The markings on the pieces varied slightly - sometimes "W Germany" - sometimes "West Germany". I don't know that there is anything significantly different about one vs. the other.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed. The box says "West Germany" and the mouthpiece says "W. - Germany". I wasnt clear in the first post.

As to the material, it certainly does feel different than my recently purchased mouthpieces, more similar to my Sumner Acousticut or Bilger Morgan (purchased in 85, not by me. Ralph looked up the serial number for me one Saturday this spring...

And I saw your email...tsk, tsk...and I'm sure you're wondering why these arent on my sell list...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Have a look at the movable baffle. If it is a straight baffle it´s a new one and if the baffle has a small dip on the front part it´s an old one. That´s what I was told.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Here is a picture where you can see the difference.

The mpc in the middle (5. th from left, a bit greenish) is the original old strathon. The other to the right are new from zinner. You can notice the small dip in the baffle of the old one compared to the straight baffle of the zinner.

·
3,406 Posts
Interesting. I'm not sure that would have any effect on the tone, but it helps sort out the new from the old. Thanks for sharing the pic!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
EZ said:
I'm betting it's hard rubber. :)

You've pretty much ID'd everything right there!

The markings on the pieces varied slightly - sometimes "W Germany" - sometimes "West Germany". I don't know that there is anything significantly different about one vs. the other.
Are the newer one plastic then?

Dr_sax said:
Here is a picture where you can see the difference.

The mpc in the middle (5. th from left, a bit greenish) is the original old strathon. The other to the right are new from zinner. You can notice the small dip in the baffle of the old one compared to the straight baffle of the zinner.
I don't see the pics???

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Funny thing is that sometimes the link works and then not again. Anyway, I hope you all see the attached version.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Dr_sax said:
Funny thing is that sometimes the link works and then not again. Anyway, I hope you all see the attached version.
Hmm.. you're right!
I saw it at work today but can't see it now at home.
Anyway thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Oh, I thought you said "Strap-ON!"

·
3,406 Posts
Roflshipmp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts