Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My combo has trouble choosing great songs to play at our concerts. What songs do you all enjoy playing that can be done in a small-ensemble setting?

Thanks! :D

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,479 Posts
Your members should take the plunge and buy all of the Real Books. There is enough music in those 3 volumes for years of work.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Jazz combo? That doesn't narrow it down too much. I play in a jazz combo but we play very little that was written (or maybe recorded is a better source for us) from after say 1931. Today we played among many tunes, NAGASAKI, THEM THERE EYES, and EAST COAST TROT. Do you know those tunes? DAVE

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
My combo has trouble choosing great songs to play at our concerts. What songs do you all enjoy playing that can be done in a small-ensemble setting?
Now you've qualified it a bit by stating jazz instrumentals, but we still need more info to narrow it down a bit. You mention "our concerts." What sort of venues are those concerts in? What type of jazz (which musicians, etc) do you like, have listened to, and want to play???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Right now I'm working on "Five Spot After Dark" by Curtis Fuller. IMO, it's a super cool Bminor blues. I like it is that the head has three really cool phrases over a really cool walking rhythm, and then it goes into a nice swinging solo section that is fun and easy to solo over (albeit in C# on tenor). I also really love the little shots the horn players play over the last chorus of the bass solo. The band I play with is a more traditional blues/rock band, but I think this one will work out okay.

FWIW: I also like the fact that Benny Golson's solo on this one is not so freaking amazing that I can't even imagine playing the song!:)

I'm not sure if there are vocals for it...but it does seem to want to segue into Moondance :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BlHRPXPx-4

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Songs you love, that you play well and that work well together to establish the mood and flow you want your set to have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts