Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a couple weeks of free time coming up and was thinking a new solo transcription might be fun...

Interested in what Solo transcription/study impacted you the most and why? How did you work on it and did you integrate it into your own playing?

I was thinking something Bop like Dex or Grossman....Ionata is killin too, or some of the Frahm videos online...I’ve been building up the audacity to tackle a monster Chris Potter on Alto solo for a while....oh too many choices!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Depends on what you're looking to take away or what areas of your playing you're looking to improve. When I was trying to really become a "bebopper," I found transcribing Sonny Stitt and Dexter Gordon to be incredibly beneficial just for the sake of developing language and the mechanics behind forming phrases. Then I got big into harmony, went full Tristano for a little while, and transcribed a bit of Konitz and Marsh - that added another dimension to my playing. When I wanted to get better at going "outside" I started looking at phrases that were really novel in how they came back inside - stuff from Frahm, Potter, Rich Perry.

Me? I'd transcribe some of Joel Frahm's live solos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,706 Posts
I recall when "Feel So Good" came out. I wanted to learn Chris Vadala's solo note for note, but soon realized he was playing notes that were above the keyed range of the tenor sax. So began my quest to learn altissimo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts