Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been playing sax for 5 years in my school program, I just had an audition today for tri county band, so now I have nothing to practice anymore. What (Technique wise) should I work on? Other times when I don’t have to work on stuff I work on tone and improvising, but what else?

Edit: Let me rephrase that, I didnt mean nothing, I just don’t know where to start because I want to learn: circular breathing, altissimo, and alot of other technique.

Also for refrence the audition piece was level 5 and I prefer to play jazz

·
Registered
718 Posts
Transcription.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Practice playing melodies you want to be able to play. Pick a key to play it in, and figure it out without sheet music. You might just surprise yourself.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
There's always more scales to learn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I’ve been playing sax for 5 years in my school program, I just had an audition today for tri county band, so now I have nothing to practice anymore. What (Technique wise) should I work on? Other times when I don’t have to work on stuff I work on tone and improvising, but what else?
Try playing some classical etudes. For my first many years, I compartmentalized my music - classical on bassoon, jazz on tenor. I didn’t consider playing classical on tenor sax until my 40s, when I was asked to join a classical quartet. That was a new challenge that took my technique and tone control to new places. Highly recommended.

Always endeavor to be musical in your practice - scales, chord studies, whatever.

Enjoy the Path.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
Oh my gosh, you auditioned and now there is 'nothing' to practice?!?
There is no such thing as NOTHING to practice.
If you have pages with music printed on it you have something to practice.
There are scales and intervals, slow, fast, alternate fingerings.
Pick a piece you can sing and work it out by ear.
Find a ballad and make it sound like a BALLAD and not just notes with basic dynamics.
Perfect the crap you play in class.
There is always SOMETHING to practice. You only need the desire and imagination.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I’ll try to restate what everyone is trying to say. “Now you can pick something you enjoy.”

If you are trying to develop your technique....more advanced methods books are going to be helpful. (Those Methods books are actually pretty good when you don’t have a teacher leaning over your shoulder to let you know what you are doing wrong). I find that Methods books help me develop much better that selecting a challenge-solo to work on.

The other, commonly recommended technique is to simply select some music to enjoy, and play for fun.

Do you prefer Jazz or Classical, or don’t you know?

What level of music do you play? Level 3? Level 4? Level 5? Higher? Perhaps letting us know your audition piece and compose would be helpful if you would prefer some specific recommendations.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would say it all depends on a) what weaknesses you have as a player and b) what your goals are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts