Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to tenor and I already tried plastic hite premier, and metalite m9. The hite feels good and buzzy with fibracell 5 but lacks something I guess it felt small tone wise guessing it was the .090 tip, the Metalite wasn't for me although it felt a little open at M9, I guess it was powerful but without the core tone it could just be me. So now I'm going down to .098 from the V16 6 with #3 green javas and m/o ligature. I'm aiming towards clean bright sound and to get sort of a easiness in both registers. I think this will be my last try since its time consuming trying different setups. Just hopes this works

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi there. I saw your other posts about the Metalites. The V16 is a more middle-of-the-road mouthpiece than the Metalite. It’s a traditional roll over baffle medium chamber Link type of piece. The T6 with #3 Java reed should be good place to start. Get used to the mouthpiece and then try different reeds. It’s a good basic traditional style jazz mouthpiece. Lots of vids on Youtube of people playing the T6 that you can listen to. Another good piece to put you on solid ground for jazz that won’t break the bank would be a Vandoren Java T55 (Java, not Jumbo Java. Jumbo Java would put you closer to the Metalte teriitory that you’re moving away from). I say T55 because it’s about the same tip opening as the T6.

Or consult with Dave at Junkdude and have him get you into a Morgan mouthpiece that will do what you’re looking for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. I saw your other posts about the Metalites. The V16 is a more middle-of-the-road mouthpiece than the Metalite. It’s a traditional roll over baffle medium chamber Link type of piece. The T6 with #3 Java reed should be good place to start. Get used to the mouthpiece and then try different reeds. It’s a good basic traditional style jazz mouthpiece. Lots of vids on Youtube of people playing the T6 that you can listen to. Another good piece to put you on solid ground for jazz that won’t break the bank would be a Vandoren Java T55 (Java, not Jumbo Java. Jumbo Java would put you closer to the Metalte teriitory that you’re moving away from). I say T55 because it’s about the same tip opening as the T6.

Or consult with Dave at Junkdude and have him get you into a Morgan mouthpiece that will do what you’re looking for.
appreciate your input. I noticed the metalite lacked some bottom but it was a good mouthpiece for the money.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think it's a good idea to get some experience playing a copy of one of the classic designs, such as the V16, because these types of pieces are famous for being versatile and somewhat neutral, so you really have an opportunity to develop your own sound with this type of piece. Vandoren also has a good reputation for producing pieces with quality facings, which is rare these days for a company of that size.

Here's a nice clip of Steve Neff playing a V16 T6:

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2009/05/vandoren-v16-hard-rubber-t6/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,512 Posts
A quick note on Java green.

Most of the ones I pull from the box play dull and with a thud.

I have found that if you soak them first for a few minutes...give them a quick blow, and let them dry they are MUCH better the next session.

Im not even sure the first playing is as important as the first soak and dry. I have not done exhaustive testing but when I open a few I soak them right away and put them in a reed holder to dry.

Then I come back to them.

I get a very good percentage from them if the mouthpiece table is flat and the curve is correct.

As for the VD mpc. I am not a fan but many are. I find most VD pieces brittle sounding.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I Agree with CliffK " middle-of-the-road mouthpiece" and that's where I like to be with a mouthpiece. That way I can play it Brighter or Darker with my embouchure and breath velocity. Some mouthpieces are less flexible for me, but mouthpieces like V16 work well. I like the Green Java reeds when I have good ones. Sigmund451 has shared a great tip on Reeds. I use what lets me feel expressive without tension when I want to play relaxed. I don't like setups that from the very first notes I have to blow hard. I want quiet to loud options.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,334 Posts
I liked the tone and playability of my V16, but it felt huge in my mouth, much fatter than other pieces I had played up to that point. Mine is a T7, and I used D'adario/ Rico Jazz Select 3Ms that were a good match. I could have happily stuck with it, but ended up trying and liking a Morgan Excalibur that is definitely a little brighter, plays super easy and is a lot smaller feeling, which makes going back and forth between alto and tenor a little easier for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Agree with CliffK " middle-of-the-road mouthpiece" and that's where I like to be with a mouthpiece. That way I can play it Brighter or Darker with my embouchure and breath velocity. Some mouthpieces are less flexible for me, but mouthpieces like V16 work well. I like the Green Java reeds when I have good ones. Sigmund451 has shared a great tip on Reeds. I use what lets me feel expressive without tension when I want to play relaxed. I don't like setups that from the very first notes I have to blow hard. I want quiet to loud options.
ok thanks I will do that, I was actually using a plastic premier hite and a number 5 fibracell with good results. But I was just curious if this mouthpiece will give me more colors. Hope I won't have to return it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I liked the tone and playability of my V16, but it felt huge in my mouth, much fatter than other pieces I had played up to that point. Mine is a T7, and I used D'adario/ Rico Jazz Select 3Ms that were a good match. I could have happily stuck with it, but ended up trying and liking a Morgan Excalibur that is definitely a little brighter, plays super easy and is a lot smaller feeling, which makes going back and forth between alto and tenor a little easier for me.
Thats how I feel about meyers, they feels smaller. I have a hite that feels well too but is plastic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've gone back and fourth when I was playing alto, I tried classic jazz pieces and mainly step baffles. I gre out of step baffles as it only lets you play overly bright the whole time making you just stick to one genre, blues funk, and smooth jazz. But I'm willing to try what works for most. Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Try it for a few days with different reeds before you return it. It’s a solid piece that will work well for most people as a flexible, general purpose mouthpiece. If you’re ordering it and you have a trial return period, you could also check out tthe D’Adarrio Select Jazz mouthpiece, as it’s similar in purpose and price to the V16. Then you would have two good, well regarded and proven pieces to A/B.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try it for a few days with different reeds before you return it. It’s a solid piece that will work well for most people as a flexible, general purpose mouthpiece. If you’re ordering it and you have a trial return period, you could also check out tthe D’Adarrio Select Jazz mouthpiece, as it’s similar in purpose and price to the V16. Then you would have two good, well regarded and proven pieces to A/B.
I will try it until I feel comfortable if I dont like it I might get a meyer but first I will compare it with my hite premier which is like a .090.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use To play T7 V16 with lavoz reed MH
Then i switched To T6 V16 with vandoren V16 between 4 or 5, this was the best match!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Victor Goines, Troy Roberts, Roxy Coss, JD Allen,Alber Rivera,Bill Easly,Jimmy Greene all play a V16 and all sound great. There are actually a lot of pros using Vandoren. Walter Blanding and Ralph Bowen ,both on Java mps, are further examples of Vandoren players.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts