Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing alto since 4th grade, and at the end of last year I started tenor. I'm currently borrowing a school sax, but I'll be getting my own soon. I'm debating between a Yamaha yts-62 or a Martin. This would be a new Yamaha, $2000 from a local store. The Martin is being sold by my aunt's friend's father for $500, but I'm not sure about condition and haven't tried it out. Actually, I haven't tried the yamaha either. So, should I get a good new modern horn that I've been researching or this Martin? I don't know the model number, but it was from the '40s. Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Try them both. If the Martin is in good condition, that's a great price on a classic. Buy the one you can't put down.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
That Martin could be a steal at that price depending on the usual factors, but I agree with Saintsday, get what suits YOU best whether it's new or vintage. Who cares which one is "supposed" to be better. Have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd give that Martin a shot before you buy the Yamaha. You'll face a little challenge with the key work with an older horn, but most times you'll make up for it with tone quality. Plus think of how many reeds you can buy with that $1,500...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gotta know more about that Martin before anyone can offer sound (ugh) advice.
Great instruments, but which model and year and in what condition?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I just tried both. The Yamaha had a brighter and more powerful sound (and naturally it was shinier!) but when I tried the Martin I really liked it. The tone was maybe a bit darker and mellower and I loved it. However, it did have some intonation problems (not horrible though). It was a 45'ish The Martin in pretty good condition (though if I buy it I'll take it to a tech first thing), and I realized that $500 was a steal (especially because it comes with a bunch of mouthpieces and some older Rico Royal reeds, which I hear are better than newer ones).

So, at this point, I'm leaning towards the Martin, but I'm still not decided.

RamZ, I'm going into 8th grade.

·
2,110 Posts
Cool, that Martin should be a good horn then! If you like it better go for it (assuming you dedicate yourself to overcoming the inotnation issues). Good idea on taking it to your tech, he/she can tweak it even more and maybe improve the intonation. Can you take it to the tech BEFORE you buy it for inspection? If it's the one you like and it plays well I say go for it!
I'd bet that if you ever upgrade you'll MAKE money on the Martin whereas you'd almost be certain to LOSE on the Yamaha.

So... tell us what mouthpieces come with it???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cymru97 said:
Cool, that Martin should be a good horn then! If you like it better go for it (assuming you dedicate yourself to overcoming the inotnation issues). Good idea on taking it to your tech, he/she can tweak it even more and maybe improve the intonation. Can you take it to the tech BEFORE you buy it for inspection? If it's the one you like and it plays well I say go for it!
I'd bet that if you ever upgrade you'll MAKE money on the Martin whereas you'd almost be certain to LOSE on the Yamaha.

So... tell us what mouthpieces come with it???
I just asked my tech and the seller, and they said sure, I could take it to him before I buy, so that's good.

I don't really know what mouthpieces come with it though, all I know is some are metal and some are hard rubber. I didn't get a chance to try them out, so I don't know how they play.

·
2,110 Posts
Some of the mouthpieces could be worth quite a bit depending on what they are and their condition. I'd recommend making a list of them and posting them here. There is the off chance that if you sell a couple of them you might cover the cost of the horn! Even if they aren't worth a whole lot it would be fun to have a mouthpiece collection right off the bat. I think that Martin is going to be a steal, especially with all the extras. Hope it works out for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Yea, if there are any old Links or anything, you could sell one or two and get all your money back plus more. And I wouldn't use any of the reeds if they are really old, unless you can tell they are unused.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
My best friend bought a pro model Yamaha when he was in high school; and one that's still highly regarded. I never much cared for his sound, but never attributed it to his horn. Well, decades later, he tried a stencil of an old Martin Handcraft I have and he couldn't put it down. He also sounded great. Well, in just a matter of weeks, he had a Martin of his own from the 40's, sounds great, and I've got fodder for more Yamaha bashing...

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
ShadowNox said:
I've been playing alto since 4th grade, and at the end of last year I started tenor. I'm currently borrowing a school sax, but I'll be getting my own soon. I'm debating between a Yamaha yts-62 or a Martin. This would be a new Yamaha, $2000 from a local store. The Martin is being sold by my aunt's friend's father for $500, but I'm not sure about condition and haven't tried it out. Actually, I haven't tried the yamaha either. So, should I get a good new modern horn that I've been researching or this Martin? I don't know the model number, but it was from the '40s. Thanks in advance.
My experience has never been great with old horns, usually intonation problems but I think it's safe to say to go with the majority and in this case it would be the Yamaha BUT, I can't stress how good the P. Mauriats are. They are Taiwanese and if you want to save huge money I'm selling the same sax only with my name on it. A gold-plated one will cost you $1,050 + about $25 for shipping. I always played Mark VI's but these horns are amazing and I'm getting a baritone for myself. Of all the horns I've played these blow everything away and by far. Phil

·
26,005 Posts
Phil Barone said:
My experience has never been great with old horns, usually intonation problems...
And you've personally experienced such problems with Martin horns?
Considering you're selling new horns, perhaps you're a bit biased. But either way, your sales promotions for your new horns should go in the product announcement section which was set up for such things.

Also, no one had yet sided with Yamaha prior to your post, so did you even read this thread?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I've experienced problems with all older horns when compared to newer horns. It wasn't until recently, about the last 10-15 years that manufacturers figured out optimum tome-hole placement and tone-hole size. ALL new horns play better technically than old horns generally speaking especially with regard to intonation and a more even register.

I'm not biased either, for years and years I was anti new horns for years and spent a lot of time defending my Mark VI just because I felt loyal but after I played these horns I couldn’t deny it anymore; there's that much of a difference. But regarding Martin's, I don't know any great players that used them, not one. Coltrane, Dexter, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, just name them, all played Selmer's. Lately, there are a lot of guys playing newer horns because they're great, period.

Everyone on here knows my reputation and it's safe to say that everyone knows that I wouldn't put my reputation on the line to make a few bucks on a sax. As far as my promotion, that's you reading something that's not there; I'm just enthusiastic because they play way beyond my expectations. I offer a money back guarantee minus shipping but nobody in their right mind would return one if they're comparing it to a Martin. A newer Yamaha might be a contender but the horns I'm selling are a $1,000.00 less and I'll match it with any horn that's out there. Phil

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I used to have a 1932 Martin Handcraft Troubadour, its in the mail as we speak heading to Italy, and I compared it to the Yamaha 23 that I own. The 23 was brighter. I didn't notice any intonation issues with mine, but their were some problems with the horn that a Saxophone Tech. could of sorted out, but I did not have the cash to take it to them :(.

Great Choice the Martin, Should serve you welll for a few years down the line. Another thing is that though the P. Mariouts are gaining some rep. It is not a long term company, if you go with a Vintage horn, they have had to keep that rep. for a very long time. The time that horn was made the Martin company had been building horns for around 30 + years.
Good Choice.
~Carbs

·
26,005 Posts
Phil Barone said:
As far as my promotion, that's you reading something that's not there; I'm just enthusiastic because they play way beyond my expectations. I offer a money back guarantee minus shipping but nobody in their right mind would return one if they're comparing it to a Martin. A newer Yamaha might be a contender but the horns I'm selling are a $1,000.00 less and I'll match it with any horn that's out there. Phil
Would that be another such non-promotion?

Yes, folks are certainly getting to know your reputation, but you have to get to know them too. Some prefer vintage horns, as do many other folks who've been in the business even as long as you. They don't necessarily have to accept your newfound preferences; especially those that have given these new brands a shot. That you're selling them and promoting them in threads not calling for such promotion (this one was a clear question between two distinct horns) goes a bit beyond the enthusiastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't mean to start an argument! :shock:

Well, anyway, today I took the Martin to my tech and it needs new pads... so now I'm reprising my original question, what should I do? Should I pay the $400 and get new pads or just buy the Yamaha? I just have no clue right now...

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Get the Martin, ,IMO. If those mouthpieces are of any vintage quality you could make your money back. Also, when you get the repad it should be a heck of a horn. And still half the price of the Yamaha.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Don’t apologize, this argument was inevitable, yes I would say pay the $400 to get the repad. Go with the tone. Also you played it, so it may not need a repad yet, and so you may be able to play it for awhile before it needs to be sent it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts