Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short i'm looking for a new saxophone
started bari, lettered within 5 months of self instruction, switched to alto my last weeks of senior year to audition for meop
long story short things didn't work out, i'm back, going to audition for meop been off of alto and bari for one year in a new state need to get back on alto,

Cannonball SS Raven
selling for 2700 new ( seems really overpriced to me )
Keilwerth MKX
selling for 3000 new ( pretty sure i can get him to knock off tax )

i'm comfortable on both, but, meop is EXTREMELY important and i'm kind of iffy on the cannonball what do you all think, no technician i've talked to knows what the hell they are (the mkx). one told me keilwerths were "terrible on classic music"

i plan on playing czardas by monti
i tend to play aggresively on alto, due to the fact that i started on bari, which i will change

alto setup: Vandoren Optimum AL3, Legere reeds, Rico H Ligature
bari setup: Selmer c*, Rico Royals, Rovner versa

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Administrator note:

This sort of inquiry correctly belongs in the "Advice On Buying/Selling A Saxophone" sub forum. Moved.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
Keilwerths are not terrible for classical music, although they are very different than Selmers or Yamahas. That being said, I'd take the Keilwerth every single time over the Cannonball.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,555 Posts
Keilwerths are not terrible for classical music, although they are very different than Selmers or Yamahas. That being said, I'd take the Keilwerth every single time over the Cannonball.
Me too.
And I'm not really a fan of the modern Keilwerths.
That sort of money would likely buy you a used Yanagisawa also.
Worth considering if you can find one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would suggest that you really consider spending some serious time with a teacher prior to auditioning again. Your competition for the limited number of chairs is fierce. Many of the members of service bands already have music degrees. Some of your competitors will have advanced degrees in music performance prior to doing the audition. If this a path you wish to take, it will be require a great deal of self discipline to accomplish your goal. That said, a used Yanigasawa would be a very good option for your specific purpose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
used horns are very difficult to find in my short experience, at least for the right price, and that doesn't guarantee that the individual is trustworthy so to speak. i haven't had the chance to try a yani as i live in the dfw area, used shops are a commodity here, all i've stumbled across is junk and higher end horns, though i have found amazing local deals on cl i take it with a grain of salt.

say i buy a horn, but i need to do padwork, or an alignment, etc. etc. its wasting money and time that are crucial, i can take the sax to a trusted tech before i buy, but i'm very cautious in the used market, if i eye a used custom z for example and it's a good price like 25 or 29 i got to get it shipped and pay for possible leaks, if i find it locally it could have small problems that'll develop further along the line,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
correct, i poorly worded that, when i say things didn't work out its something confidential, i never auditioned to begin with, due to the fact that, coming from a 4a school my director didn't have the time or resources to teach me, and as i left high school it dropped in priority, now it shot back up. i held my own at district after 2 months and lettered on a grade 5, so i'm greatly worried but im still confident, i plan on this being 7-8 months from now, the used market is a great idea i left a reply a little lower as to why im so iffy on it but still considering i'm playing on a naked lady as of now, and plan on getting an instructor promptly, but i know this is no easy endeavor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everyone thanks for your replies, i will look into yani's, which models would you all recommend and can you name their equal counterparts
ex.
custom z - super action 80 - sx90r

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,572 Posts
Those Conns(assuming that it's a Conn, only naked lady on a sax I've ever heard of) are very good horns, though their tone is a bit more geared towards jazz.
That's better than be relegated to marching band!

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you're good enough for the Marine Corps MOEP you can take either horn to the audition and win it. If you're not good enough, neither horn will change that fact.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,572 Posts
correct, i poorly worded that, when i say things didn't work out its something confidential, i never auditioned to begin with, due to the fact that, coming from a 4a school my director didn't have the time or resources to teach me...
It is interesting to observe how often teachers are held to blame for failing students.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts