Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to take delivery of my first tenor sax. Having trouble finding a teacher nearby, so in the meantime will have to start on my own. Any recommendations on which set of 'method' type of books I should buy ?? (btw I'm 47, so don't want the 'twinkle twinkle' type of books if you understand . I have searched and noticed the 'rubank' books seem to be recommended but I haven't been able to find any reviews of them or any other method types ? -

( I did have an alto in the past and had a few lessons so tone producing basics etc aren't really necessary ) -Thanks !

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lots of players start on Rubank. Maybe that's why nobody feels that there is a need for a review. The elementary book is great, and it will take you a long way. The choice of pieces now looks a little eccentric. Have a look also Peter Wastall Play as you learn Saxophone.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Check out Sue Terry's "Play Tenor Sax (Step One)." It comes with a play-along CD that should be helpful. I don't know if it would count as a true "method" book, but it will get you going on reading music and playing some tunes.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
I have a beginner series on my site. It is 19 half hour video lessons long and takes you through the Essential Elements 2000 Book 1. I know you said you don't want Twinkle, Twinkle and I cover simple tunes like that. It might not be hip enough for you but you'll be sure to get all the basics covered.

I also have a beginner jazz improvisation series that you could start afterwards to start getting into jazz improv.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check out Sue Terry's "Play Tenor Sax (Step One)." It comes with a play-along CD that should be helpful. I don't know if it would count as a true "method" book, but it will get you going on reading music and playing some tunes.
I'll second that recommendation, I started with Sue Terry's "Play Alto Sax (Step One)". She has a very broad selection of music in that book which keeps thing interesting. You should be able to get through the book pretty quickly, (a couple months), after that I went on to Lennie Niehaus's book Basic Jazz Conception, then moved on to Jim Snidero's books. All along I was also working out of Voxman's Selected Duets for Saxophone, started with volume one, and now on Volume 2. Just started Teal's Solo's for Alto Saxophone after 3 years of playing. Of course, I have been working with a teacher the whole time, where duets are beneficial, and just finished doing my first summer session with the local community band (where reading ability is critical), we performed about 30 new (to me) tunes in the space of a month, nothing like trial by fire. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Larry Teal "The art of saxophone playing" is like a bible for me

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
735 Posts
You could also consider taking online lessons over skype. There are teachers on SOTW who do that.

Even a few lessons could help you chart out your long-term plan including what books you could use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts