Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my question is, what other scale besides the Bb major scale can I use on my sax for melodic jazz improvisations?

Since I played the Bb scale for weeks, I feel that I want to try another scale, minors and majors.

Today, I was playing the Bb major scale for sax, difference is that I added a flat to the middle Bb note played with the side key.

I played the scale very fast after a few weeks of practicing it at a slow tempo. It takes alot of hard work. I tend to mess up 4 times or more until I get it right.

So I need your help to find scales that are good for jazz improvisation.
I want to expand my knowledge about improvisation by playing various scales.

Your suggestions are welcome.

P.S- How can I play jazz licks more effectively like several jazz saxophonists do, like Grover Washington jr did?
I really like his playing style. However, I have various influences I want to imitate on alto sax.
I want to sound like Jay Beckenstein on alto of Spyro Gyra. I love his sound on alto and tenor saxes. I want to combine my sound with Grover Washington jr's playing style, and Jay Beckenstein's sound on tenor and alto sax, Like to play like Grover washington jr, and sound like Jay Beckenstein with any setup on sax. Hope you understand my concept of how I really want to play.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts
How long have you been playing? Do you have access to private lessons?

Are you asking for the magic scale that will make you sound like Grover Washington or Beckenstein? These guys play every scale in every key. No quick way about it. Study theory, practice your scales, do longs tones and learn to read.

B

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Well, there are 7 "official" modes in 12 different scales to choose from. Add to that things like pentatonic, whole tone, blues scales (also in 12 different keys), not to mention "passing tones", and you have a world of things to choose from.

There's a whole world out there to explore. Learn the language and be adventurous. It will keep you occupied for years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
Well, there are 7 "official" modes in 12 different scales to choose from. Add to that things like pentatonic, whole tone, blues scales (also in 12 different keys), not to mention "passing tones", and you have a world of things to choose from.

There's a whole world out there to explore. Learn the language and be adventurous. It will keep you occupied for years.

Yes...and don't forget the 7 modes of melodic minor and the diminished scales. There's plenty to keep you occupied for a lifetime.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Podcast Samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ugh, my head hurts.:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Hello, my question is, what other scale besides the Bb major scale can I use on my sax for melodic jazz improvisations?

Since I played the Bb scale for weeks, I feel that I want to try another scale, minors and majors...

I played the scale very fast after a few weeks of practicing it at a slow tempo. It takes alot of hard work. I tend to mess up 4 times or more until I get it right.

Nothing like jumping into the deep end before you've learned to tread water.

I mean no offense by that, but you haven't even mastered a major scale yet. You have a ton of work to do just learning your major scales before you need to worry about what scales to use for jazz. I genuinely think it's counter-productive to try to jump so far ahead before learning the very basics. All of the other scales you'll hear jazz musicians talking about are "relative" to the major scale, and until you've totally mastered all of the major scales they won't mean much to you. You asked for suggestions. My suggestion is to spend more of your time right now learning the major scales and less time worrying about obscure jazz scales that you couldn't possibly understand or be able to use effectively at this stage in the game no matter how much you'd like to. Learning to play the saxophone is a step by step progression, and if you try to skip any of the early steps or not give them the full attention they require, it will only inhibit your development.

First learn the major scales...ALL of them. Then the basic minors...natural, harmonic, and melodic. You really need to learn those and learn them well before you start in on the multitude of other scales that after YEARS of patient and methodical study you might actually be able to incorporate into a legitimate jazz solo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
To answer your question , I'd say eventually you need to look at bebop scales but reading your post I'd recommend for you to add some more major scales and even start looking at pentatonic scales - especially given the style you're talking about .

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts

Since I played the Bb scale for weeks, I feel that I want to try another scale, minors and majors.
Learn C major next.

Good luck!

You could also learn to play a chromatic at the speed of light and a bit of random honking and squeaking just in case you want to branch out into free jazz. :mrgreen:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
It's worth knowing every scale you can find, however you can know all the scales and not be a good improviser, or be able to improvise at all.

The subject of the thread, "What scales do you recommend that I use for fast jazz licks?", makes little sense, if you want to play licks, learn some licks and learn how to invent licks. Scales aren't licks, and licks aren't scales.

Learn harmony, learn how to compose (improvisation is just very fast composition), learn how to develop your ears and your musical imagination, learn about tension and release, learn about rhythm, learn how to swing.

That's how you "expand your knowledge about improvisation", not by "playing various scales".

But it's still good to learn various scales, but rather than learning them blindly, learn how they function and how they are constructed from different intervals and how they can be manipulated to create melody.

BUT

Whatever scales you learn, I would recommend you learn any associated arpeggios.

So you know a Bb scale, make sure you know a Bb arpeggio: Bb D F Bb and at least the four note arpeggios (Bb D F A) and be able to play the scale in thirds: Bb D C Eb D F Eb G etc... and then work out your own patterns based on that scale.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's worth knowing every scale you can find, however you can know all the scales and not be a good improviser, or be able to improvise at all.

The subject of the thread, "What scales do you recommend that I use for fast jazz licks?", makes little sense, if you want to play licks, learn some licks and learn how to invent licks. Scales aren't licks, and licks aren't scales.

Learn harmony, learn how to compose (improvisation is just very fast composition), learn how to develop your ears and your musical imagination, learn about tension and release, learn about rhythm, learn how to swing.

That's how you "expand your knowledge about improvisation", not by "playing various scales".

But it's still good to learn various scales, but rather than learning them blindly, learn how they function and how they are constructed from different intervals and how they can be manipulated to create melody.

BUT

Whatever scales you learn, I would recommend you learn any associated arpeggios.

So you know a Bb scale, make sure you know a Bb arpeggio: Bb D F Bb and at least the four note arpeggios (Bb D F A) and be able to play the scale in thirds: Bb D C Eb D F Eb G etc... and then work out your own patterns based on that scale.

I meant that by saying " What other scales should I move on to that are out there, what types of scales would help my improvisation technique."

I have came up with several licks, but I think they aren't that good.

I know how to improvise over Grover Washington Jr's song called Jammin, but towards the end of the song.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
My favourite scales:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I began with the blues and internalized the tone colors of the major and minor blues scales. This, for me at least, was easier than understanding the other jazz scales. It began my introduction to thinking melodically. I'm not the veteran or teacher that some of the other guys are here, but the ability to think in tones and not letters set up a foundation for me that I use when I play in bands, jam, and gig in town.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First things first, learn all of your major scales. That is, in all 12 keys. Everything you do in the future will stem from your major scales. What I like doing is learning one or two "easy" or more familiar scales and then practicing one or two less familiar scales each day. Do this and you can have you're major scales done in no time. Then look into learning pentatonic scales, blues scales, and different modes.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts