Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group! New to the group and a "kinda" newbie player.

I loved playing ALTO ages ago, and have just rented a sax to re-learn after not playing
for 30 years. It feels great and its coming back to me. Cool huh?

Can someone here please advise what saxes I might consider purchasing used and where to buy?
Are Selmers still the ****? lol…But seriously…what brand names should I consider?
Also whats a "student sax"….not a term I remember from ages ago.

I'm in the Toronto, Canada area.

Warmly,

Me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. Just a heads up, the moderators don't appreciate this type of humor. "Are Selmers still the ****?" and will likely remove the post especially seeing how you're a newbie so I wouldn't recommend that type of humor. As for your question we have a similar thread that's active right now so I would recommend checking it out as some answers have already been posted that may interest you. A "Student sax" is a saxophone that is usually a no-frills instrument and most likely manufactured with less than premium materials and components relative to professional level instruments. Pro horns are manufactured to very high tolerances and with premium material and components and the price reflects the attention to detail.

Buying used can be tricky if you're not experienced. Condition is very important so I think the most important thing for you to do is find a reputable seller and trust their suggestions. Kessler music in Las Vegas is a very reputable retailer and I am confident they would make suggestions in your best interest.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hi group! New to the group and a "kinda" newbie player.

I loved playing ALTO ages ago, and have just rented a sax to re-learn after not playing
for 30 years. It feels great and its coming back to me. Cool huh?

Can someone here please advise what saxes I might consider purchasing used and where to buy?
Are Selmers still the ****? lol…But seriously…what brand names should I consider?
Also whats a "student sax"….not a term I remember from ages ago.

I'm in the Toronto, Canada area.

Warmly,

Me.
Answers to your questions:

Yes
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?110774-Useful-Information-for-New-Members
Yes, to those that still think they are the B-E-S-T, that is what **** stands for, correct?
Consider the big four if you are attracted to new or modern stuff, the other big four if you like vintage stuff
A student sax is an entry level, or lower cost sax. Some argue vintage student saxs would be professional grade today.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Phil Woods switched his Mark VI for a Yamaha for the last 10 or so years of his life, so you might look there. They make well-regarded student models too, like the YAS-23 and various stencils of that instrument. You can pick one of those up relatively cheaply. Not saying this will make you sound like Phil...

Regarding your questions - no, Selmer today is not the Selmer of yesteryear. I think the Mark VI is the epitome of saxophone manufacturing, and prices for top-condition models of that horn today bear this out. That said, lots of today's horns play very well - even the Selmers LOL. I guess the brand answer depends on how much you want to spend (or are able to spend, which might be a different thing). Once your chops get back to a reasonable level, go try out a bunch of horns before deciding.

·
Banned
577 Posts
We are in a renaissance of amazing saxes. I purchased two tenors, a Trevor James Raw XS and a Yamaha 82IIUL this year and both are stellar horns. Tried out some of the new altos and was amazed by TJ Raw and the Eastman 52nd St. models. The 82ZII alto was very nice as well but definitely more timid, but still a really amazing horn. We are blessed with a torrent of über saxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts